Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Managing your collection  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Roman_Egypt

• Consul
Managing your collection
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:57:10 pm »
Does anyone have a way they manage their collection like the focus? I really just have accumulated a bunch of uncleaned coins in my collection and am wanting to focus on single attributed coins for my collection but don't know what to focus on, so much to choose from! I already have a decent amount of cleaned coins but need to get my collection straight :)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Managing your collection
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:17:37 pm »
It doesn't work like that. You can't choose a specialty, it chooses you or it doesn't. As long as you buy nice coins, you can't go wrong. Uncleaneds are not that great for building a collection.
Andreas Reich

Offline Roman_Egypt

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:26:27 pm »
I did not know if there were some who focused on a certain era, like I was thinking of collecting just coins of the 12 Caesars for example.

A lot of uncleaned are crap but if you know where to shop there are some great gems I have found :)

It doesn't work like that. You can't choose a specialty, it chooses you or it doesn't. As long as you buy nice coins, you can't go wrong. Uncleaneds are not that great for building a collection.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:35:22 pm »
Hi!

Is it possible to show us some of these gems? That would be nice!

Jochen

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:41:15 pm »
It's not very original but it's as good a start as any. Just be sure to buy good quality, it's no fun for either you or anyone else to have to look at mediocre coins. That is the main reason uncleaneds are such a poor way to build a collection, for every nice coin you usually get 10 or more mediocre coins or slugs so you might as well have spent the money on a nice coin in the first place.

The fact that there is so much to choose from is what makes ancients so exciting.
Andreas Reich

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 02:52:42 pm »
To focus on certain types of coins does´nt take long. To keep focused is not so easy.
When I started I decided  to collect exclusively Roman. RR one coin per Gens. Imperial, a portrait of every emperor. Later one coin per lady, usurper, and different monneyers or coins from the same gens were introduced.
Now,after 50 years its a long etc...etc....I  even buy an occasional greek.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 03:12:57 pm »
Like Benito, I have never had a problem finding a collecting focus. Maintaining that focus is much harder. I am constantly distracted by collecting areas that interest me!  I have collected Roman emperors, Roman Imperial ladies, mainland Greek, Roman Republic, Roman Egypt and English hammered coins.  One constant effort throughout my varying interests has been to buy the best quality coins I can afford. If that means buying 1 or 2 coins per month instead of 5, so be it. That requires restraint, which can be difficult for a collector.

Offline Roman_Egypt

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 03:25:50 pm »
What's an original way to collect lol I collect a lot of WWII militaria and have a focus as without it I would have vast and crazy collection of just stuff piled up!

Just curious if there is a unwritten ancient coin collectors rulebook that I have to abide by   :P  ::)

It's not very original but it's as good a start as any. Just be sure to buy good quality, it's no fun for either you or anyone else to have to look at mediocre coins. That is the main reason uncleaneds are such a poor way to build a collection, for every nice coin you usually get 10 or more mediocre coins or slugs so you might as well have spent the money on a nice coin in the first place.

The fact that there is so much to choose from is what makes ancients so exciting.

Offline Roman_Egypt

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 03:27:33 pm »
This sounds like me haha I like to many things

Quote from: Carausius on May 20, 2015, 03:12:57 pm
Life Benito, I have never had a problem finding a collecting focus. Maintaining that focus is much harder. I am constantly distracted by collecting areas that interest me!  I have collected Roman emperors, Roman Imperial ladies, mainland Greek, Roman Republic, Roman Egypt and English hammered coins.  One constant effort throughout my varying interests has been to buy the best quality coins I can afford. If that means buying 1 or 2 coins per month instead of 5, so be it. That requires restraint, which can be difficult for a collector.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 03:38:22 pm »
That's the point, even though '12 caesars' is what most people do, why not do it? The only thing I always find sad is when new collectors collect Romans exclusively and neglect the Greek (and other) coins. I wrote 'good quality' and not 'the best quality coins I can afford' because I don't have the discipline. I now try to buy coins that are definitely above average in condition, style, surfaces etc. There's always going to be a nicer example. The only coin of mine that might be the best example (for a while) is this one:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-51756
Andreas Reich

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 03:39:59 pm »
I've been collecting for 12 years and from day one have focused exclusively on Flavian silver. Sure, I'm interested in coins from other eras - it would be impossible to understand Flavian coinage without knowing the overall context in which they were struck, but I only purchase coins which fit into my collection.

Eventually you will find a focus that will strike your fancy. Mine was one based on the love of the history behind the niche I have chosen.

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 10:11:29 pm »
My specialty chose me rather than the reverse. I had been interested in ancient coins for some time when I attended my first coin show. I saw an Otho denarius that I liked and after some consultation with a couple of people who knew way more than I ever will about ancient coins, I bought it. It was then that I decided to try putting together a twelve caesars set. I do have some coins that are not part of the set, but I am trying to concentrate on the set. I currently have 7 total ancient coins and 3 of those are denarii from the twelve caesars.

As a newcomer I have very much enjoyed reading and learning from this thread. How people approach their collections is interesting.

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 12:02:50 am »
TIF,
I like your focus, never seen that before! Gives me a thought...what would a Grateful Dead focus be???
Hmmmmm

Cw

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 04:42:12 am »
I like what many have said - your focus will find you.

I would also add that you don't need to limit yourself to one focus.  You can have more than one at once, or you can have several that remain dormant while you pursue one then change to pursue another for a while. 

You can also focus, then focus in some more, then more again as your interests and expertise grow.  Maybe someone starts with Roman, then Antoniniani, then Gallienus, then his Zoo series.

The world is your oyster - or coin in this case.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 10:28:04 am »
Thanks, wileyc and Strato :)

It was a ton of fun putting it together.

wileyc-- given the Dead's massive catalog, you should be able to extract lyrics and titles to fit almost any theme you can dream up!

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 03:17:54 am »
My collection is somewhat like my life... Sprawling, chaotic, unorganised and good fun..
   I tend to buy what catches my eye and falls within my budget at the time, and over the years the collection has organised itself into various categories, which means that I get chance to pull everything out and then reorganise every now and again, which in itself is good fun..
   I have half decent sub-collections of coins from ancient Rhodes, and of barbaric imitations, but the most expensive coins I own are an Athenian tetradrachm and a silver unit of the Iceni tribe in pre Roman England... I'm looking forward to being able to afford an archaic Ionian electrum coin someday, and I own a silver threepenny of Elizabeth the first.. My rule is there are no rules... I think it would be a shame to forbid myself from buying something I find very appealing just because it didn't fit into an imaginary framework.
  Some may find my method of collecting distasteful, but that doesn't matter... It's my collection and I like it the way it is!!
  So I suppose my point is there doesn't have to be fast and hard rules,( unless you want there to be!!)
Discover what appeals to you and go for it!! It's your collection, do what the bloody hell you like!

Best wishes,

Lee.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 03:21:14 am »
( love the Floyd coin concept thingy by the way!!  +++ ;D +++)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity