Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Request for information on a forgotten ancient Egyptian scarab.  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Russ

• Consul
Request for information on a forgotten ancient Egyptian scarab.
« on: November 02, 2013, 12:04:36 pm »
Dear Friends.
     I have no where to go and know of no one to ask at this time, so here goes... I hope this does not sound too weird...

Long ago, when I was in the sunshine of my youth, I saw a hugh fragmented lapis lazuli scarab on display in a museum. It was about the size of my fist and showed signs that it was once inlayed with another material. Unfortunately, I forgot whether I saw it in the British Museum or in the Cairo Museum. I sent e-mails to both of these museums but never received a reply. It is sad to learn that museums of today are no longer interested in what they are supposedly protecting.
     If any members find themselves in the Egyptian Section of the British Museum, could you check the cases to see if it is there and provide me with any identifying number that may accompany it. I would make the same request of members living in Cairo, but I don't know if there are any.
     This information is very important to me because it may lead to an archaeological discovery in one of these museums. I would like to determine if this lapis scarab, once inlayed with another material, is the one mentioned in the Harris Papyrus, written for Ramses III, under the heading "The King's Gifts to Re" and described as "Lapis lazuli and malachite, a great scarab - 36 kidet".
     Kindly note, James H. Breasted, who translated the Harris Papyrus, (see:  Breasted, James H. Ancient Records of Egypt, 5 vols, New York: Russell and Russell, 1906; re-issued 1962; Volume IV, page 152, ยง 285) translated the word "mafkat" as meaning "malachite; it should have been translated as meaning "green stone" which would include the more common stones such as green felspar (amazon stone), turquoise, etc. (See: Lucas, A. Ancient Egyptian Materials and Industries, Second Edition, Revised. London: Arnold & Co., 1934: pages 349 to 351.) A kidet equals about 9.1 grams; 36 kidet x 9.1 = 327.6 grams x .035273 ounces = 11.5557 ounces = .7222 pounds. The scarab on display should weigh less than this amount due to its loss of inlayed material and the chips it suffered over the passing millennia. Also, the kidet fluctuated over time, so these weights are approximate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity