Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Steatite Egyptian square nicely curved both side with eagles for ID  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Hi all;
I post this Steatite Egyptian square nicely curved both side with eagles for ID with hole for suspension-12 x 10 x 5 mm-
thanks in advance for any help
Regards
Nassif

Offline Russ

• Consul
Re: Steatite Egyptian square nicely curved both side with eagles for ID
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 02:47:33 pm »
Hi Nassif,
     I'm in Florida and will not be back in New York City for another week or two. Nevertheless, your plaque is ancient. My guess would be Late Period but it certainly could be earlier. The hawk-falcon-Horus bird preceded by a serpent with a reference to Ra was identified by Alice Grenfell as being a symbol of a deceased individual, the "Golden One". She described this design motif in "The Scarab Collection of Queen's College, Oxford, in Journal of Egyptian Archaeology, Number 15, pages 217 and 221 "The deceased is also figured as a Horus-bird with Ra-signs and a uraeus springing out of his foot." There is a good chance that Journal of Egyptian Archaeology, Volume 2, 1915 is online. see: http://asi.nic.in/asi_books/26511.pdf.
     The other side has the bird preceded by a feather of Maat. I'm not sure of the significance of that combination off the top of my head. It probably refers to the weighing of the soul against the feather of maat.
     Your amulet was most probably made for the deceased and placed somewhere on the mummy.
     I hope this helps.
Russ

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: Steatite Egyptian square nicely curved both side with eagles for ID
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 01:51:16 am »
Thanks Russ for your great help,you know because of your interesting comments i start to like Egyptian antiquities
All the bests
Nassif

All coins are guaranteed for eternity