Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Scarab - fabulous fake  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Russ

• Consul
A Scarab - fabulous fake
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:26:21 am »
Hi Folks,

Perhaps, it is time for me to post some items from my "rogues" gallery of fake scarabs; some I bought when I first started collecting and didn't know any better, others I bought as examples of unusual fakes.
     Years ago, I did a lot more traveling than I do now. In those days, scarab hunting was better in England, Holland, and Germany than it was in Egypt! I bought a wonderful scarab necklace, probably made in the 1920"s or 30's,  in London. I realized some of the scarabs in it were fakes but the real ones were outstanding and the center (pendant) one was an absolute gem. It was an authentic "ladder back" scarab which was equated to the scarabs of Wah by one of the world's greatest authorities on scarabs of the second half of the 20th century. That scarab is another story.
     This scarab has a rounded hole in its back from a round plug which is now missing. This scarab may be made of plastic, Bakelite or some other substance. Scarabs with inlayed backs as part of their design motif were made at least as early as the Middle Kingdom, but scarabs made of pieces of material fitted together (mosaic), that were drilled in the area where no pieces could be fitted in and plugged are extremely rare. They are usually made of exotic or expensive material, like lapis lazuli.and most, if not all, examples come from King Tutankhamen's tomb. Illustrations of his jewelry concentrate on the visual impact of the whole item, rather than on how individual elements were made, thus it is difficult to find illustrations clearly showing these round plugs, but a few do exist, see:
1.  Vilimkova, Abdul-Rahman and Darbois. Egyptian Jewelry. London, New York, etc.: Paul Hamlyn, 1969: Title page and No. 54. Bracelet. Carter Catalogue Number 269 N.
2.   Edwards, I.E.S. Tutankhamun’s Jewelry. New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1976: pages 16 and 33, Number 10. Carter Catalogue 269 N.
      For a possible round plug on a prothorax, see:
Vilimkova, as cited above, Number 39. Carter Catalogue Number 256 QQQ.   
     While this scarab is not a mosaic, it does have a round plug which is now missing. Tutankhamen’s scarabs were representations of Scarabaeus venerabilis (with striated/ribbed elytra) and this one represents Scarabaeus sacer. The workmanship on this scarab is superb; it does not appear to be cast or molded. The high karat gold mount is from the original necklace.
      The inscription might read:  “Good god, lord of the two lands, Amen Ra, king of  Lower (Northern) Egypt” (?).  For a scarab with a vaguely similar inscription which Petrie called “obscure in meaning” see: Petrie, W.M. Flinders. Buttons and Design Scarabs. London, 1925. (Re-printed by Aris & Phillips/Malter, Warminster/Encino, 1974) page 14, Number 738, Plate XII.
      Size: approximately 14.5 mm long x 11 mm wide x 6.25 mm high.

Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity