Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Scarab fo ID  (Read 1676 times)

vanter

Scarab fo ID
« on: December 26, 2012, 08:30:03 pm »
Is possible ID some word or significate for this Scarab?
Thanks for your help.

Offline Russ

• Consul
Re: Scarab fo ID
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:45:18 pm »
Hi Senatus,

I think the inscription is a combination of two names; perhaps, one of the Rammesside kings and Amenhotep III or Amenhotep, son of Hapu.
     Reading from left to right "User-Maat?-men - en - hotep - nb". User-maat-Ra is usually the beginning of a Rammesside king's name and "men-en-hotep" the end of a Amenhotep King's name. No one knows why but sometimes the ancient Egyptian combined names and this scarab my be one of those. This is a rare combination and I have not found a parallel in the books I checked.
     For something vaguely similar, see:   Hall, R. H.   Catalogue of Egyptian Scarabs, Etc., in the British Museum, Volume I, Royal Scarabs, London, 1913.: page 191, Number 1907. Yours has neither solar disk or feather. Hall writes "inscribed with the name of Amen-hetep (the son of Hapu?) or of Amen-hetep III, as "Ra-Amen-Hetep) confused with Amen-hotep III (the two are probably confused). XXVIth Dynasty"
     I looked in some other books and found nothing, they are
1.   Downes, Dorothy. The Excavations at Esna 1905-1906, Warminster, Aris & Phillips Ltd, 1974.
2.   Petrie, W.M.F.   Scarabs and Cylinders with Names, British School of Archaeology in Egypt and Egyptian Research Account 21st Year, 1915; London, 1917.
3.   Petrie, W.M.F.       Historical Scarabs, London, 1889.
4.   Petrie, W.M.F.  Buttons and Design Scarabs, The British School of Archaeology in Egypt, London, 1925 (re-print by Aris & Phillips Ltd., Warminster and Joel L. Malter & Co., Inc., Encino, 1974)
     I hope this helps.
Russ

vanter

Re: Scarab fo ID
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:49:25 pm »
Thank you dear friend for your help :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity