Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cast Lead Sea Shells from Caesarea Maritima  (Read 3006 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Cast Lead Sea Shells from Caesarea Maritima
« on: May 30, 2017, 02:37:28 pm »
Hi, all.  Here are four of the mysterious lead sea shells from the coastal area around Caesarea.  Lionel Holland has published a wonderful book called "Weights and Weight-like Objects from Caesarea Maritima" Hadera, 2009, which is currently available for free on Academia.edu., along with his many other very interesting articles.   In there he has photos and measures of nearly 80 of the shells, ranging from the largest, at 126.4 grams, to the smallest, at 4.35grams, all from Caesarea.  The weights seem to be random and fit no known pattern of measure.  There have been many theories as to the use of these objects, ranging from weights, to sling-stones (unlikely according to Holland, since they are neither uniform, nor aerodynamic), or bulk lead metal by weight, and others.  The method of casting may also have various explanations.  I will try to add some more detailed photos of the other three from our collection, soon.  Holland reports of a few other lead shells found at sites within Israel.  However, the vast majority seem to come from Caesarea, and Holland knew of no examples from other regions.  Any ideas or opinions are welcome.  

BCC  LC1
Lead Cockle Shell
41 x 39 x 17mm
weight 106.7 gram
Surface find from Caesarea
Maritima, 1972
cf.  Holland  C6

BCC LC1-LC4 composite
LC1=106.7 gram
LC2=52.15
LC3=64.6
LC4=34.15, with casting sprue

(click for higher res.)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Cast Lead Sea Shells from Caesarea Maritima
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 02:53:26 pm »
I believe lead and bronze shells are also found in both Italy and Spain. I have had quite a few of the bronze shells, most of which were apparently from the same hoard.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 04:47:22 am »
Hi,

Are they cast from actual sea shells or moulds taken from actual sea shells?

Peter

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:47:35 am »
Almost certainly the molds are made by pressing actual shells into clay.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 02:14:06 pm »
Hi Joe and Peter, When I searched Academia.edu for the book I only got the first 4 chapters.  When I clicked on the author's name I got a more complete list.  The shells are discussed in chapter 9, part 3 and part 4.  Holland reports that a marine biologist was able to identify several species of shells that are commonly found near Caesarea.  Four of them had "dimples" on the upper side, suggesting to him that they may have pierced the shell and affixed a nail to facilitate removal of the shell from the clay matrix when the mold, singular or multiple, was produced. 

Holland also lists 3 bronze shells from Caesarea, which were very rare, and of widely varying weights (12.9 grams, 50.0 grams, and 1.79 grams, Chapter 10).  There is also an example of a singular mold for a shell, made from baked clay, found at a different site south of Jerusalem, and dating to, perhaps 40 BCE, or earlier.  There is no comment as to whether this may have been used for lead or bronze.

I will see if I can get more information on the distribution of the find sites around the city, as this can be helpful in suggesting a date.  Imperial Roman to very early Byzantine, would be my first guess.

Thanks as always, V-drome

https://independent.academia.edu/LionelHolland

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 03:54:16 am »
Thanks Joe and v-drome,

Very interesting.

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity