Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: attribution assistance with this Ptolemy coin  (Read 1279 times)

siranthonyac

attribution assistance with this Ptolemy coin
« on: December 19, 2005, 12:52:57 am »
Hello,

I’m still a wee bit stuck on attribution of this Ptolemy coin.

Can anyone take a shot at which Ptolemy king this is? If not, could someone point me in a direction or website of attributing Ptolemy kings?

Thanks in advance!
Anthony

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: attribution assistance with this Ptolemy coin
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 01:37:23 am »
How big is this coin in mm?  What is in front of the eagle and between its legs?

Gordo

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 02:00:32 am »
Hi,

The main ptolemy svoronos reference can be found:

http://www.coin.com/images/dr/svoronos_book3.html

Very useful,

Cheers,

Gordo

siranthonyac

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 09:30:22 pm »
Hello,

The coin is 23mm in diameter. I honestly am not sure of what is between the eagles legs however; it does not appear to be any lettering only perhaps something he is holding?

I did let this coins soak in WD 40 for about a month and then took a brush to it... originally, you really couldn't see even the eagle on the back.

I'll also check out the link provided.

Thanks again,
Anthony

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 04:01:18 am »
At 23 mm, with Zues on the obverse and a closed wing eagle look forward, I believe this coin is from Ptolemy III or later.  What is between the legs is most likely a monogram.  What is important is what is to the left of the eagle in the field.  Do you think it might be a cornucopiae, club, branch, or lotus flower?

siranthonyac

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 11:28:02 pm »
Hello again,

I honestly cannot see what is to the left sooooooooooooooooooooooooo... it's back to the bowel of WD40 for another month.

I'll post the photo again and perhaps it will be clear what is to the left of the eagle.

Happy Holidays!
Anthony

Offline Jay G

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 05:52:02 pm »
If my eyesight is not failing that object to the left of the eagle appears to be a club....which is a hint as to where it was minted....that would be in TYRE.
From the general style of the coin, I would say not later than Ptolemy IV though perhaps not earlier than Ptolemy II?

Good luck with the identification.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity