Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What the heck is this Cook Island?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Mark J2

• Praetorian
What the heck is this Cook Island?
« on: September 13, 2021, 09:27:19 pm »
What the heck is this?
OK, so this is a Cook Island coin which I believe to be a replica(fake)?
But also it is a NGC validated coin.
So does this mean that this is a genuine replica from Cook Island because they are good at making fake coins and we want to be sure this fake coin is made by them?
 ;D
At the same time, this is kinda cool in a weird way if I'm readying this right.  :     )
Attaching the picture from Ebay.
-mark

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Re: What the heck is this Cook Island?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 09:46:09 pm »
The Cook Islands are a quasi-independent country in the vicinity of New Zealand. Their only economic bases seem to be tourism and selling a wide variety of "collectable" coins and stamps. Some get even more peculiar than this series.

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 09:49:59 pm »
As an example of what I mean for Cook Islands.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 10:22:42 pm »
Any respect I had for NGC just completely went away. WTF? Maybe I should send them my Marta token that they would have no way of knowing if authentic. As an aside, I just wrote ANS to ask why they sent all their Barrett bequest coins to NGC. I hope they answer.

Virgil

Offline antoninus1

• Consul

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 05:29:24 am »
So what. It's crazy for us, but some collectors like these coins and some even want them in plastic boxes. As long as they are happy, I have no problem with it.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 09:51:42 am »
... And NGC´s grading "MS70 antiuqed" is really gaga  :laugh: ...
Grading is not about common sense, it's about money  :-\ (and I don't mean that inside the holders  :)).

Regards

Altamura

Offline Sap

• Consul
  • It's already tomorrow in Australia.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 04:31:13 am »
This isn't technically a "fake", or even a "replica". It's a legal tender* coin from the Cook Islands, which just happens to resemble an ancient coin. It's no more a "fake" than the Italian or Greek coins of the 20th century that similarly "copy" ancient coin designs.

If you Google "7k Roman Empire series", you'll find this is just one of half a dozen or more "coins", commemorating various Roman emperors form Julius Caesar to Valentinian III. The company that seems to have authorized their production, 7K Metals, has made flashy YouTube videos about each one.

* - One should not blame the Cook Islands government for issuing these coins. Countries like the Cook Islands are used as flags of convenience by private mints to legitimize the various "products" the mint's marketing departments dream up. Coin collectors want to collect "coins", not "medals" or "rounds", so the mints that make this junk need to find somebody somewhere to slap a legal tender clause on their products, so they can be marketed as "coins". Sometimes, the less scrupulous mints don't even bother asking permission from the government that theoretically "issued" such coins, on the theory that nobody would ever bother actually contacting the Cook Islands government to find out if the "coins" really were legal tender.

7k, the company that sells these "coins" is a mass-marketing company. The modus operandi of such companies is to get you on their mailing list, then try to keep you on their mailing list at all costs while they regularly send you more and more products (and charge your credit card for them). Their perfect customer is one that falls for the slick marketing, doesn't read the fine print of the scheme, and is then too timid, too proud or too apathetic to go through the convoluted process of cancelling themselves. On that basis, one can assume that the half-dozen or so coins issued to date are just the first in a long long series, which will be dragged out until it's no longer economically viable to continue. There are, after all, hundreds of emperors to choose from - not to mention all the other members of the imperial families.
I'll have to learn Latin someday.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity