Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Highlighted words in posts  (Read 8328 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Highlighted words in posts
« on: February 07, 2009, 02:26:11 pm »
Just this week I've found that words are highlighted in all of the posts and are linked to the FORVM catalog.  For example if I type "Augustus" then it becomes highlighted and linked to the Forum Augustus page from the catalog.  Is this new or did I somehow turn it on?  Anyway of turning it off?  I've looked in the profile but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Highlighted words in posts
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:40:20 pm »
It is new.  They are NumisWiki autolinks.  They are not highlighted they are link text (in most browsers they will be blue text with a different color on mouseover).  There is no way to turn it off.  The links do not just go to the catalog.  They go to Fake Coin Reports, Numiswiki and even other websites, such as coin archives and wildwinds.

I am taking recommendations and requests for autolinks. For example, if you wanted the words Jay's Gallery to automatically link to your gallery, we could add that.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 02:54:28 pm »
It's pretty cool except it can't detect the difference between words that are spelled the same.  For example above I wrote out "Type" which links to an article on a definition of "type" as in a type of coin.  I've seen the same on other words that would have different uses.  Perhaps it could be made more or less sensitive by the user? 

Other then that I think it will be very useful.  I just wasn't sure if I had messed something up!

Edit: Also just noticed that typing "had" links to an article on Hadrian in Numiswiki.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »
It is possible for us to turn off individual words or phrases such as had, pat, price, type, and good.  Those are some examples I have seen that are a little annoying.  It will turn them off for everyone.   On the other hand the idea is to create an endless loop or web of information.  The idea is you can spend hours and hours clicking link after link, learning something new the whole time.  So, even though had, pat, price, type and good, may not take you where you expect to go, they may take you down an interesting path.  

In any case, if people have strong opinions that we should turn off any particular word, I will almost certainly agree.  For example, if either Pat or Curtis are annoyed that their name links to something that has nothing to do with them, I will of course turn off the link.    
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:26:08 pm »
Hi,

It is a good idea in principal but there needs to be some control over the links to make sure they are relevant. It put the word Waddington in a reply the other day referring to a Lincolnshire coin hoard and the link went to a reference of the 19th century French numismatist. There could be a number of confusions arising from such links, although I take your point over creating a site with informative linking to more informative links to become an experience and yes serendipity can be fun.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 03:45:27 pm »
These are autolinks, the same thing you will find on WikiPedia, About.com and many other informative websites.  Whenever a word is used, if there is a numiswiki page for that word or if a manual link has been added, it will automatically link.  Ideally the link will be relevant but that just isn't going to be the case.  Users need to recognize the links are generated automatically and understand that they will not always be relevant.   They really do not need to always be relevant.

It is possible to turn off a single instance of a link by putting the word between vertical lines (the symbol above \ on the keyboard).  Originators can put the words between vertical lines when they create a post.  Originators and moderators can also add the vertical lines when modifying a post
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 06:50:59 pm »
Pat, you put in the correct symbols to turn off links to the terms prize urn, etc., if there were links. But there isn't a NumisWiki page for prize urn. So, there was no link to turn off.

If you were trying to add a link, that won't work.  The vertical line symbols only turn links off.  To create links you must make a NumisWiki page and the links will go to that page.  If you made a NumisWiki page for prize urn, then every time anyone types prize urn on the boards, the text "prize urn" will be blue and link to the prize urn NumisWiki page. Sorry if I am explaining what you already knew.  

Forum staff can make a manual link to pages outside NumisWiki. For example, ayiyoryitika automatically links to your website.  I set up those links a few days ago.  

I could make a link for the words "prize urn" to the prize urn thread that you moved to Numism. I would prefer, however to make a prize urn page on NumisWiki, even if it is only cutting and pasting information from the thread.  

I hope that when someone sees a term or phrase on the board that is not blue, that is not on NumisWiki, and they then look it up someplace else, that they then add the term or phrase and what they have learned to NumisWiki.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 08:03:36 pm »
That seems like a lot of work!
It would be easier, and almost as efficacious, if you could just make a link for agonistic.  That would take the user to any page having to do with games, in particular those 'special' ones of the Imperial era commonly found on 'Provincials', all over the Empire, even if they are marked by other athletic subjects as well as the usual baskets/urns with palms sticking out of them.  No, 'athletics' or 'games' would not serve the same purpose.  'Agonistic' is a special kind of coin and an important category of life under the Empire.
And speaking of Ayiyoryitika, that is where I need to spend my time to best effect.
Thank you.
Pat
P.S. For years I have been avoiding studying agonistic types; this is because I know very little about the games, any games.  I am interested in Homonoia coins, and even Neokoria, for instance, but becoming an expert in ancient honorific athletics at my age would be impossible.
P.P.S.  While you were there, a link to neokoros or, better, neokoria would be a very useful addition.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 08:28:29 pm »
Every link autolink needs two things:  1) the word or phrase we want to automatically turn into a link (blue text) and 2) the target page of the link (a URL).  

For example the word (1) Ayiyoryitika links to the target page URL (2) https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ayiyoryitika/AHNIndex/index.html.  

I can make the word agonistic a link text, but I still need the second part, a target of the link (a URL).  We need a NumisWiki page or other web page about the topic agonistic that will open when we click the link.

Yes, it is a lot of work.  I have put hundreds of hours into NumisWiki.  My latest efforts are related to Egyptian scarabs (click scarabs).    
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity