Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla from Pautalia reference help  (Read 1288 times)

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
Caracalla from Pautalia reference help
« on: April 09, 2020, 03:07:17 pm »
Hi,

Here is a tough one from Pautalia, at least for me. Not in Varbanov bg, and most of the available online sources I know. I don't have Ruzicka Pautalia though, hope someone will help here.

Thrace, Pautalia. Caracalla, AE29, 14.16 gr. Governor Caecina Largus
   Obv: AVT M AVPHΛIOC ANTΩNEINOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of young Caracalla right.(known obv.die)
   Rev: ΗΓΕ ΚΑΙΚΙΝΑ ΛΑΡΓΟV ΟVΛΠΙΑC ΠΑVΤΑΛΙΑC, Hera standing left holding patera in right, and long scepter in left hand.

Magistrate coins from Pautalia are scarcer, could it be an unpiblished reverse type?

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
Re: Caracalla from Pautalia reference help
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 04:46:22 pm »
Very nice!

I think unpublished.  I checked Ruzicka, Mionnet Supp. II , BMC, and acsearch and came up empty.  I have a similar coin with the same general reverse type but a different rx die.  Mine has a peacock.  There is another rx die paired with Julia Domna for Hera at Pautalia for this magistrate.  That die has an altar so no matches.

I like your reverse the best; very stately and well executed.

Really cool coin!

JPW

* EDIT I just noticed the JDomna coin was issued by Clarus not Largus

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 05:23:51 pm »

Thank you very much, I appreciate it! So it is probably unpublished, as I thought . The Domna coin you mentioned is the closest match I have found too(Wildwinds I guess). And yes, even in this condition with no patina, it looks great, even better in hand.

Regards, Max

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 05:45:13 pm »
Yes, it's Largus which must be earlier than Clarus, and as you can see in acsearch, there are many other examples with the same obv.die, under that governor, with the same engraving style as my specimen, but all different reverse types.

Max

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 06:26:45 pm »
    On dating for the governors of Thrace Arthur Stein's monograph Romische Reichsbeamte der Provinz Thracia (1920) is a great reference for the arrangement of these magistrates.  Gaius Caecina Largus is listed as 198-199 AD. Subsequent to Statilius Barbarus and preceding Quintus Sicinnius Clarus.  Clarus is listed as 202AD.  This date is ascertained by the reverse types with Caracalla and Plautilla vis a vis  clasping hands.  I believe that 202 was their marriage date. Aurelius Gallus in Moesia is assigned this date for the same reason. Clarus was the last Legatus Augusti pro praetore provinciae Thraciae who recorded his name on the coins of this province.  All of the following governors that Stein records were arranged by extant inscriptions.

Fun stuff!

JPW

All coins are guaranteed for eternity