Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tiny provincial ID help  (Read 1049 times)

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
Tiny provincial ID help
« on: March 10, 2020, 06:04:22 pm »
Hi,

I need some Id help for this small provincial, AE 17. Inscriptions on both sides are not legible, reverse type looks like Dioscuri.
I've searched all known online sources, with no success till now. Hope the picture is good enough, coin's condition is not good anyway.
Thanks in advance

Offline Vladimir P

• Consul
Re: Tiny provincial ID help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 01:44:01 pm »
The obverse is very similar to small Maximus of Abydus (but not the same die)
Unfortunately, it's nothing further to say

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coin/259119

Vladimir P

He who makes no mistakes makes nothing

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 01:53:22 pm »
The dioscuri are a common reverse on the coins of Abydos.

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 02:47:14 pm »
Thanks for your replies! Vladimir, I suspected it's Maximus, but combined my searches with the Dioscuri reverse and got different
results. Anyway, it's quite enough for me as for now - so it's Maximus of Abydos, obviously the same obverse type, though not the same die. Hope I will get the right reference later, if not an unpublished type. Thanks again!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity