Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unpublished Elagabalus Tyre coin--help with reverse please  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Charles M

• Consul
Unpublished Elagabalus Tyre coin--help with reverse please
« on: February 23, 2020, 12:50:48 pm »
Hello all,

I have this coin of Elagabalus from Tyre.  I've checked all the usual references including AUB, Rouvier, RecGen, Mionett, etc.  My French is not great but I believe the coin to be unpublished.  There is a similar reverse for Gordian on acsearch: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5211010 .  (That entry references BMC 407 (Elagabalus) but that's not even close.)

Obv: IMP CAES MAV AN-TONINVS AVG, laureate draped and cuirassed bust of Elagabalus right, seen from behind.
Rev:  TV RI
  • RVM, Dido, semi-nude, standing facing, head left, branch in extended right hand over palm tree, murex shell to right.  Uncertain object behind Dido's head.

27 mm, 14.09 grams

My question is, what is the object behind Dido's head?  Is it perhaps the "O" in the legend, just out of line with the rest of the legend?  Any help appreciated.

Charles M.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Unpublished Elagabalus Tyre coin--help with reverse please
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 01:12:33 pm »
Looks like the upper end of a kerykeion.

Best regards

Offline Charles M

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 05:58:38 pm »
Thanks, Jochen.  Here's a picture I found of a kerykeion that looks just like what's on the coin.
Are there other examples of Dido carrying a kerykeion? You are obviously the mythology expert here.  Ant thoughts on the significance?

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 03:50:58 am »
This type is described in Ernest Babelon, "Catalogue des monnaies grecques de la Bibliothèque nationale. Les Perses achéménides, les satrapes et les dynastes tributaires de leur empire, Cypre et Phénicie", Paris 1893, on page 326 as number 2230:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k399051b/f528.image
depicted on plate XXXVI as number 22:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k399051b/f650.image
and the object is described as a caduceus.

The coin is today in the collection of the BnF: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b85373878

Regards

Altamura

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 04:59:57 am »
Hi Charles!

Dido holding a kerykeion (caduceus) I have never seen before. It's a very interesting depiction. But the meaning is clear: The kerykeion stands for economic prosperity.

Best regards

Offline Charles M

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 07:47:10 am »
Beautiful!  Thanks Altamura and Jochen!  I love Forum!

I'm always amazed that some of the best references for ancient coins were published over 100 years ago.

Charles M.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity