Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dremel tools  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Archon

• Consul
Dremel tools
« on: October 26, 2014, 01:53:15 pm »
Hi what do you guys think about using a drill to pry off crud from bronze coins. If so should I use a bidding wheel or what?

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Dremel tools
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 10:15:18 pm »
If your goal is to wreck the patina and coin,  a drill would definitely do it,

I've tried different dremel and mechanical tool,   and used all kind of bits with them,  all with bad results.

Best way is still soaking and mechanical cleaning. Follow the posts on the board on how to do this.

Ya can't rush this,  took 1800 plus years for the dirt to cake on,  don't expect to get it off overnight.

Had coins in soak/clean mode for over a year,  and still not done

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:59:25 am »
Some people use the SBBB (soft brass bristle brush) wheel on the dremel to clean coins.  BUT this is a special brass brush, not the standard brass wheel you get with a dremel or dremel bits kit.  It also requires a special technique.  It must be done with a wet coin, usually under running water.  There are several messages about this if you search.

I sometimes use the black nylon brush wheel for scrubbing coins that have been soaking in DW or gringotts.  Here it just replaces scrubbing with a toothbrush.  It is always done on a wet coin.

I use the felt wheel (or actually the felt cylinder) for polishing coins after I have put renn wax on them.

I never use a drill or harder brush for anything. 

If I face really hard stuff on coins I use hand tools like scalpels and steel needles.  (Under microscope.)

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:24:40 am »
I swear by my dremel, and use a variety of tools with it..

The most useful is the brass brush, 536 is the Dremel article number, and I have included a photo of it. Before use it should be pressed down upside down on a table top or similar hard surface to spread the bristles out into a bushier shape, and should only ever be used on slow speeds and under a stream of water. ( this applies to all the other tools I use also.. But be careful !!! Electricity and water make funny bedfellows!!)

I also use nylon brushes for loose dirt, and find that fine metal tipped grinding tools are good for getting through solid layers on tough old Greeks and the like. ( a steady hand and light touch are also essential here!! )

Another useful tool is a very fine grit diamond / rubber smoothing bit, this is great for smoothing out rough flat surfaces and the like...

Strangely enough, I rarely use the dremel for polishing... I much prefer my fluffy lint free polishing rag.... But each to there own!!

Get some slugs to practice on so you are sure of what you are doing first, and enjoy your cleaning!!

Lee.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 08:00:24 pm »
Ave Jhonny et al,

[quote author=Johnny link=topic=98455.msg607509#msg607509 date=1414376118
If your goal is to wreck the patina and coin, a drill would definitely do it,
I've tried different dremel and mechanical tools, and used all kind of bits with them, all with bad results.
Best way is still soaking and mechanical cleaning. Follow the posts on the board on how to do this.
Ya can't rush this, took 1800 plus years for the dirt to cake on, don't expect to get it off overnight.
Had coins in soak/clean mode for over a year, and still not done
[/quote]

Dear Jhonny and so sorry amigo, but perhaps you've not used them as described?

You note that soaking and mechanical cleaning is best. Duh. We all know that, but Dremel Diamond-dusted tools and Diamond-dusted rubber tools are certainly included as
mechanical cleaning, but just a bit faster.

Some people use the SBBB (soft brass bristle brush) wheel on the dremel to clean coins.  BUT this is a special brass brush, not the standard brass wheel you get with a dremel or dremel bits kit.  It also requires a special technique.  It must be done with a wet coin, usually under running water.  There are several messages about this if you search.

I sometimes use the black nylon brush wheel for scrubbing coins that have been soaking in DW or gringotts.  Here it just replaces scrubbing with a toothbrush.  It is always done on a wet coin.

I use the felt wheel (or actually the felt cylinder) for polishing coins after I have put renn wax on them.

I never use a drill or harder brush for anything. 

If I face really hard stuff on coins I use hand tools like scalpels and steel needles.  (Under microscope.)

Shawn

Best regards,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity