Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Max. Herc. Alexandria, Athena seated confirmation  (Read 1182 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Max. Herc. Alexandria, Athena seated confirmation
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:45:47 pm »
Could someone please confirm my reading of this recent acquisition?

Billon tetradrachm
Obv:– MAXIMIANOC CEB, Laureate bust right
Rev:– Athena, seated left, holding Victory and spear..
Minted in Alexandria (L I A). A.D. 296
Reference:– Curtis -, BMC -, Milne -. Emmett 4102 (11) R3

Is there something else in the right field above the A or is it some sort of flaw?

Regards,
Martin

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Max. Herc. Alexandria, Athena seated confirmation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:40:54 pm »
Martin;

It likely is a star to the right. I do not have a record of the variety of your coin, so it might be unpublished.

Obverse: B2b
Reverse: in field LI---A; star right ( note Dattari 5847 has date L--IA; star right)

Iwaniw

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 04:01:41 am »
Iwaniw,
Many thanks for that information. I was wondering if it might be a star but my limited references did not suggest it as a possibility. I am not sure that I can justify investing in Dattari given that this series is one of my peripheral collections where I generally only buy on whim.
In this particular case I was drawn to the decent style of the engraving on the obverseof this coin. I took the opportunity to obtain a Galerius tet. at the same time as I hadn't seen too many of them around.

Galerius Billon tetradrachm
Obv:– GAL MAXIMIANOC K, Laureate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– Eirene, standing left, holding olive branch and sceptre..
Minted in Alexandria (L B). A.D. 293
Reference(s) – Curtis -, BMC -, Milne 5106. Emmett 4219 (Year 2) Rated R5

Regards,
Martin

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:15:56 pm »
Nice examples Martin, with decent surfaces (always the challenge in this series). You can find Forni reprints of Dattari for around $125 used.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:45:34 pm »
Many thanks.

I will have to keep my eyes open. The few versions I have seen have been more expensive and been in the USA. Shipping books to the UK has become an expensive part of this hobby in recent years.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 09:38:52 pm »
There are two Dattari volumes available these days.

The Forni reprint is a reprint of the original 1901 Dattari catalogue. It is a true catalogue, written in Italian, but easy to follow if you have rudimentary Latin skills (e.g. sinister or s.=left, etc.)

The new, often - called "Dattari/Savio" is a limited-issue volume containing plates of rubbings that Dattari made of his collection. It illustrates all the coins in the 1901 catalogue, plus several hundred more. It is not really a catalogue, it is just plates; although each coin rubbing is numbered so you can use it like a catalogue with patience. This volume is a new, high production value, limited edition and is more expensive than the Forni reprint of the 1901 catalogue.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity