Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian Fouree  (Read 970 times)

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Domitian Fouree
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:20:36 am »
Listmates,

Now that I have this in hand, I have some concerns.  It was sold as "A beautiful ancient counterfeit. Fantastic condition for a silver plated piece (currently , copper core corrodes inside, exploding outwards and affecting the outer silver plating)."

My further description is 2.77g, 19.2 mm (large flan).  Like Domitian as Caesar under Titus RIC II 266. 

The obverse is stylistically nice.  The style of lettering and portrait makes me think if this is ancient, it was made with official dies.  I'm not sure what's going on under Domitian's chin though.  The reverse is similarly a good style, and I see the copper core poking through and buckling just above the flame of the alter. 

The small "spur" at 1:30 on the obverse gives me some concern though.  Also, the "fold" on the reverse along the "INC" on the left side.  I tried to take a quick side shot, but it didn't come out well, but I'm attaching it anyway.  The side shown, corresponds with the rest of the "fold" on the reverse

Evidence of casting here, or am I just paranoid?   

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Domitian Fouree
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:37:20 am »
The portrait does not look official to my eyes. The style is a bit "off" from Domitian as Caesar denarii under Titus...which would fit it being an ancient counterfeit. I can't tell from the photo if it is plated or not. If you say you can see a bronze core underneath...then that answers the question, it can't be cast!

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:01:43 am »
The portrait does not look official to my eyes.
  Your eyes are much better than mine at such things, but as I look at yours, I see what you mean.  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-57393

I can't tell from the photo if it is plated or not. If you say you can see a bronze core underneath...then that answers the question, it can't be cast!

Just to the top/right of the flame, I can see the copper poking through.  I didn't know if modern forgers used copper core/silver plate or not.  It was the spur/fold issue that caused concern.  I guess I should have added this came from a seller's forum with a code of ethics, and I didn't think the seller was pulling one over on me, but might have missed something. 

TRPOT

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:18:55 am »
Fouree often have visible places where the silver foil overlaps. I haven't personally seen one with a seam around the edge like that, but that's not a very good photo so I can't quite tell what is going on there.

Imagine wrapping a copper blank with 2 round pieces of foil, then striking it with the dies. Sometimes the foil might crinkle at the edge, sometimes the seam where they overlap will be visible all the way around, sometimes just on a small section, sometimes not at all.  If your seams don't look like they can be explained by this process, then it is cause for further investigation.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 01:58:55 pm »
It convincingly looks like an ancient plated forgery from the pictures.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:04:48 pm »

RIVETING information about the make up of coins thankyou to all you knowledgable people from someone trying to learn a little more

All coins are guaranteed for eternity