Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Has anyone heard of a coin from Messena Italy named the "Charles of Anjour"  (Read 1128 times)

Christopher S3

Has anyone heard of a coin from Messena Italy named the "Charles of Anjour"  I recently inherited this coin from a collector.  He left a note saying that is only 1 of 2 known and that was bought from a Gerhard Hirsch Nachfolger Auction.  Any information on this coin would be helpful. Thank You.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Without seeing pictures it is going to be impossible to tell you anything. There were two rulers of Sicily called Charles of Anjou and both made many different types and denominations of coinage. Please post images of both sides of the coin you are asking about, together with its size and weight. This information may already be on the tag that likely accompanies it from when it was bought at auction. If you have the tag, a scan of it would be helpful as well.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline alexius

• Consul
If it is from Messana then probably Charles I (Charles II for this area is all from Naples) -  hopefully the spectacular gold reale !!

rick2

as far as i know no coins from messina have that name

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Well, we're not going to know anything about what it is without pictures and some specific details. All we know now is that he has (presumably) A Sicilian coin of one of the Charleses of Anjou.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Quote from: Christopher S3 on May 02, 2011, 12:07:31 pm
Any information on this coin would be helpful. Thank You.

we could ask the same thing.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Curious. The question was posted on May 2 and the poster has never again checked the boards. If I had a coin I believed to be one of only two specimens known I think I'd want to find out something more about it! I guess he's in no rush.
Well, in any case, I think perhaps this thread really belongs in Medieval Coins anyway, so off to that board it goes.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
More information on the auction ( Gerhard Hirsch Nachfolger) ,and ,as already written a pic,would help.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity