Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian fake  (Read 864 times)

Jason C

Vespasian fake
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:26:08 am »
I have been a coin collector for 10 years I had only collected old US coins 2 years ago I started to really get into collecting ancient coins roman and greek mostly in july of 2008 I bought a vespasian denarius for over a 100 dollars on the front vespasian the words IMPCAESVESP not sure about the rest on back religious instruments AVGVR above PONMAX below the type is from 73 AD I think at the time I bought this I really did not know how to spot a fake last june I looked closely at all my coins on the vespasian denarius I saw a seem on the edge I looked closely with my 40x glass and I clearly saw the front and back were glued together likely a cast fake the coin also weighed 2.9 grams I had wonderd if this coin was real because it looked to different from my other 4 denarius coins all of them weighed over 3 grams and were not as thick as that coin

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Vespasian fake
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:33:54 am »
Hi Jason, from the picture the edge seam cannot be seen and the quality is too bad to spot other signs of casting.
So if you're looking for a second opinion (I'm not sure what your question is) you'll have to provide better pictures and pictures of the edge as well. Punctuation is also very useful.  ;)

As for the weight, you'd have to check a larger number of Vespasian denarii in comparable condition to see how anomalous the weight of your coin is. I don't know, I would have to check as well.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Jason C

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:07:29 am »
sorry about that the picture is the best I could get I could not get a good picture of the seem from what I had read the weight of a denarius was 3.6 grams the other 5 denarius coins I have weigh 3.7 3.7 3.6 3.5 3.4 3.4 I know the coin is fake I know what to look for to spot fakes now at the time I bought that coin I didn't I wanted to show people what it looked like 

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:16:40 am »
The weight is low but in line with the fluctuating quality control of Vespasian's early denarii.

The coin looks fine to me. Some surface roughness and porosity is all I see. Can you photograph the seam you see?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:41:06 am »
Yes I'd like to see the edge also.  It's a scarcer type to fake and from the photo's it looks okay.  Here is mine for comparison, it comes in at 3.55g:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-42599

Jason C

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 11:26:42 am »
I wish I could get a good picture of the edge my camera can't do it Im very sure the coin is not real it has all the signs of a cast maybe electro plate fake low weight the seem  the coin does not feel right feels like a shell and the edge looks to smooth the seem is right in the middle of the edge it is 9mm long   

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:36:03 pm »
The weight is not out of range. Ancient coins do not adhere to specific weight standards like modern ones do. There is almost always a margin of a few tenths of a gram and sometimes even as much as a whole gram or more within a correct weight range.
Pop the coin out of that capsule and take some pictures of the edge and post them so we can see what you're talking about. Those capsules are easily opened and reclosed. I think you are being too quick to condemn the coin. From the photos I see absolutely nothing to indicate this coin is fake.
One more thing, Areich said it nicely above but I'll be more blunt: please use punctuation, especially periods, when you're posting. It makes the posts a lot easier to read and comprehend, particularly for those on here (many) who are not native speakers of English (though it isn't bad for the rest of us, either). As this is a serious forum, not texting or twitter, using punctuation is only polite. Please do.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 04:53:12 pm »
Try using the Macro setting, usually an icon of a flower.  This will help focus when up close.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity