Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Where are you from?  (Read 32091 times)

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Where are you from?
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2011, 09:37:05 pm »
I think someone already said this, but it does seem odd that so many former military types collect Ancient coins.  I collect only Roman, but I would broaden my collection to Greek coinage if I could read Greek.  I think some of the best looking coinage comes out of the Greek era.

Transliteration of Greek, which is quite easy, comes in handy.  Most names of cities on coins in Greek can be understood by simply reading the inscription.  If you learn a few commonly occurring Greek words, Greek coins will be much easier to comprehend.  Although I do not collect Greek coins, I generally can read their dates, the name of the ruler as well as city mentioned on the coin.
I use this strategy to be able to partially understand Greek coins, Himyarite/Sabaean coins, Roman coins, etc.
Don't feel worried to try to expand your area of collecting!

Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Legatus

• Consul
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2011, 11:24:53 pm »
I just love the artwork of Greek coins.  That would be the only reason to expand into that area.  My son who lives in Belgium, is one of those "freaks" that can hear a language spoken just once and he can pick up enough to get by.  I think he currently speaks 8 -10 languages at least semi-fluent if not fluent.  I, on the other hand, have a hard time with my own native tongue.  I've been to language school twice, once for Korean and the other for German.  I've never used my Korean so I have forgotten all but the the basics.  German I use on occasion, but I'm sure I sound like a five year old with my grammar.  That's a long way of saying that when my son is around I can rely on him to translate, but that is almost as rare as a Caligula Denarius.  You are correct, though, with the amount of time and resources I put into my Roman coins, I think I have no need to expand.

Legatus
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=30485

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones"

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2011, 11:30:04 am »
I live in Belleville IL, which is right outside the city of St. Louis MO.  Growing up I lived a couple years in Mildenhall England, Sacramento CA, then went to high school in the area I live now. I joined the marines in 98-02 and was based in southern california, okinawa Japan, and south Korea for a bit of time before getting out and returning to the Midwest.

Danny

Offline Stevie M

• Legionary
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2011, 08:03:03 pm »
Belfast, Northern Ireland.   Approx 10mins walk from the Ulster Museum.  ;D

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2011, 03:41:15 pm »
The post by Amanda M and the subsequent posts relating to it have been moved to the identification help board: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=74879.0
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Ellen B

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2012, 11:06:01 am »
Hi! I am from Norway. 

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2012, 02:46:17 am »
Born in Philadelphia.

Moved to New York when I was 5, and lived in several different areas over 25 years.

Spent the last 13 years in Reno, Nevada.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »
I'm trying to start collecting coins relevant to ancient Jewish history.

Good to see I have another fellow Judaean coin collector.  Welcome!
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Steff V

• Praetorian
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2012, 01:42:24 pm »
Belgium !

Offline Belisarius

• Consul
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2012, 12:23:23 pm »
The hobby seems to be expanding greatly in Belgium! Great stuff!
"...horum omnium fortissimi sunt belgae!"
- Julius Caesar

My gallery:
www.forumancientcoins.com/

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2012, 05:24:20 pm »
Wasilla, Alaska now but I am from Anchorage originally.  The army took me to Germany for a couple of years and I got to drift around europe on my weekends - that was the best time of my life.  I've done a bit of globe trotting, but I always miss this backwater state.   ;D

Offline Marti Vltori

• Consul
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2012, 08:32:54 pm »
Salt Lake City, Utah here.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2016, 02:34:11 pm »
The Netherlands
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2016, 12:11:52 pm »
Ottawa Ontario, Canada.....braving a record-breaking 50 cm of snow in one day just a week ago +++

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2016, 05:43:26 pm »
Born in Chipping Norton, UK. Grew up in Oxford, lived all over the place, spent several years in Cornwall, and ended up in Birmingham.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2016, 08:31:45 pm »
Minneapolis Minnesota checking in! ...although winter's too long here and every morning while I scrape ice off my car windows... I dream of moving to tropical islands.

Offline BrianW

• Praetorian
  • Hello Everyone
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2016, 10:51:23 am »
I am from northern California, USA.  I do not know anyone collecting ancient coins in my area.  Somebody used to sell coins in my town about 20 or more years ago, maybe closer to 30 years, but not for a long time.  All of my coin interactions happen at coin shows held many hours away, or online.  There IS someone up here involved in ancients as I hear him calling in to a radio show sometimes trying to sell cheap Constantine bronzes.  But as of yet, only long distance love between me and the world of ancient coins
"Far on the ringing plains of windy Troy, I am a part of all that I have met."

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2016, 10:05:28 am »
Born in Helsinki, Finland 66+ years ago, lived for four years in Davis, California and one year in Canberra, Australia. Member of the same Ancient club as PekkaK. We meet four times a year, all 5-7 of us. The club is an activity arranged by the Finnish Numismatic Society, which has some 1400 members. The remaining 1394 (rounded average) collect Finnish coins and/or euro.
Our Society and one shop in Helsinki offer Ancients regularly in auctions.
Jyrki

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2016, 11:21:14 am »
I am from Greece. Born in Artaki, 7km away from Chalkis on Evia island. My grandparents came from Artaki of Mysia (today Erdek), some kilometres away from Kyzikos. They brought their culture and love about Kyzikos to their new city in 1922. Till today the tunny fish (Πελαμύς), which is characteristic on the coins of Kyzikos, has an important place in our diet and there are many delicious recipes about it.
So it is not necessary to say that i am collecting mainly coins from Kyzikos.

Perikles.
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2016, 02:42:01 am »
Born in Helsinki, Finland 66+ years ago, lived for four years in Davis, California and one year in Canberra, Australia.

Jyrki, were you an Aggie?
i used to work in Davis in occasion, and loved it in the early Fall when the roads were red from the tomato trucks and the air smelled like toast when they burned the wheat fields.
ahhh, memories...

~ Peter

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2016, 02:55:07 am »
I am from northern California, USA.  I do not know anyone collecting ancient coins in my area.

where in NorCal Brian?
i grew up in the Bay Area before moving up here to Oregon, and started collecting ancients after being exposed to them by a coin dealer in Santa Rosa. he is still in business and still has a pretty good supply of ancients in stock, but unfortunately no online presence.

~ Peter

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2016, 02:58:38 pm »
Born in Helsinki, Finland 66+ years ago, lived for four years in Davis, California and one year in Canberra, Australia.

Jyrki, were you an Aggie?
i used to work in Davis in occasion, and loved it in the early Fall when the roads were red from the tomato trucks and the air smelled like toast when they burned the wheat fields.
ahhh, memories...

~ Peter

Peter,
indeed I was! I studied there 1977-1981 and got my PhD in entomology. Used to root for their doubleA team. At the time they had a great quarterback who did join the New Orleans Saints and had at least a short career.
Yes I miss those days as well....
Jyrki

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2016, 12:26:39 pm »
One look at your posting Perikles and I could kill for Greek food.  Is that a tunny fish on the plate? 

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2016, 02:30:08 pm »
otlichnik

Yes, it is tunny fish.
It is sun-dried tunny fish with oregano. After being ready under the sun, we  bake it. In Greek this recipe calls ΓΟΥΝΑ (guna=coat, fur)

Perikles
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Offline Norbert

• Praetorian
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2016, 07:18:43 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity