Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: very strange coin..colonial??  (Read 1453 times)

lazooro

very strange coin..colonial??
« on: July 22, 2008, 06:40:24 am »
coin is little 1, 95 g and 14-15 mm i can see some letters like D T V?? and strange eliptical linesa.. no clue!
thx

lazooro

Re: very strange coin..colonial??
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:35:21 am »
any ideas?? what are those 'birds'?? together they make some kind of amphora...help..

lazooro

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 05:54:16 am »
help please..ideas?? :(

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 06:23:40 am »
Very strange, indeed! The r. pic seems to be the obv. There I think to recognize the faint depiction of a bearded radiate portrait reminding me of Claudius Gothicus.

For the depiction of the l. coin I have no clue, sorry.

Best regard

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 06:42:25 am »
This will not help much right now but I have a similar coin at home where the reverse looks like a big leaf
of some kind and the obverse has a 'gallic' portrait. I'll post a picture once I get home and find it.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:28:04 am »
Here it is:
16mm, 1.5g

Certainly a 'barb' and while different than yours it may copy the same coin type though I have no idea what type
that could be. Then again I don't know much about these.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 12:02:16 pm »
The letters look like they may be DIV and so the coin may be an imitative DIVO CLAVDIO type. If you have access to Roman Coins and their values, Volume III, look at page 413. According to Sear, this type was one of the most common types of radiates to be imitated. He also says that some types are bizarre in the extreme, some of them displaying the abstract qualities of Celtic coinage belonging to an earlier age.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:42:34 pm »
Thank you.
Unfortunately I don't have that book.
Does the pictured example look like ours? There really is no genuine type the looks like that, is there?

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 04:59:10 am »
No, there are no pictures. The sentence quoted comes in a section about 'barbarous radiates', which itself comes at the end of a section on the DIVO CLAVDIO coins.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 06:25:28 am »
I actually see an eagle, facing, head left, wings spread..  as per my high quality drawing.

but I do agree  it is a Barb of Claudius II

lazooro

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 09:32:31 am »
thx to all!!! really looks like divo bust..but for me could be also victorinvs or someone like him..on picture i attach i draw the lines so maybe would be easier to recognize something..hope i did good pic for you.
greetings
lazar

khingila

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 10:31:16 am »
The reverse (image at left) is typical of the way the figure of Spes breaks down in some of the more degraded barbarous radiates. Sutherland (Coinage and Currency in Roman Britain, p. 146) describes it as "elaboration of the tunic-top of the drapery, with its flowing outlines, into a stylized double-curve, through the middle of which passes a kind of axial line". Your coin is similar to his example on plate X, #6. The image should be rotated about 180 degrees so that the T-shape would represent the head, the narrower curves the breasts, the wider curves the hips, and the psi-shape the raised skirt. The legend is most likely a semi-literate attempt at SPES AVG, the resemblance to "Divo" being only a coincidence.

The obverse bust on Spes types usually derives from Tetricus I, but these being copies of copies of copies, the engraver may not have known exactly what or who he was really copying.

If from Gaul, your coin would date to a point sometime after the issue of the prototype and up to the reform of Aurelian c. 275; if from Britain, where the "epidemic" of barbarous radiates persisted a bit longer, perhaps as late as the early 280s.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 11:32:48 am »
Does that go for my coin as well, because it seems like a pretty clear leaf-shape to me?
Andreas Reich

khingila

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 11:52:03 am »
Does that go for my coin as well, because it seems like a pretty clear leaf-shape to me?

I tend to think the prototype for the reverse of areich's coin is the "sacrifical implements" type, taken from the PIETAS AVGVSTOR type of Tetricus II (though the portrait seems to be Tetricus I). Sutherland (p. 152) notes that in one subtype, the accessories are omitted entirely and the artist focuses on the "vase", with the handles sometimes omitted and the emphasis placed on a highly stylized pattern within the "vase-belly". 

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 12:08:27 pm »
Thank you very much.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

lazooro

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 05:09:39 am »
Thats amazing :o! thank you very much for this useful information!
Lazar
(can we say it is a scarce coin?)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity