Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I have lost an emperor. Please help!  (Read 732 times)

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
I have lost an emperor. Please help!
« on: December 21, 2007, 04:30:14 am »
Please help me with the following coin.
On the left I have placed, for comparison reasons, a normal Sear 808 Heraclius follis.
On the right part of the pictures, I have placed another coin with identical reverse but with only two imperial figures on the obverse.
My first impression was that this (the right coin) is a Syrian immitation, but I am not sure.
The identical reverse to the normal Sear 808 confuses me.
Any ideas?

petzlaff

Re: I have lost an emperor. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 04:44:15 am »
Dear Joma,

theĀ  second one is an overstruck on FOKAS. You can see the DNFOCA.... legend remains on the reverse.
The obverse's left hand margin look like coming from the original coin.
I believe, the 3rd figure was lost with the overstriking. Should be a #808 as well.

regards
Stefan

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Re: I have lost an emperor. Please help!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:59:41 am »
On the left-under question coin- there is not any small figure on the left -as we look- of Heraclius.
The coin has definately two figures which by the way are much bigger in size than the corresponding figures of the normal coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity