Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Large Hellenistic coin?  (Read 588 times)

Dave S3

Large Hellenistic coin?
« on: September 24, 2021, 05:07:58 am »
I am unsure if this is Hellenistic or Provincial.

It seems to depict Zeus' portrait on the obverse.

The reverse is possibly a nude Hermes, he is holding a caduceus (kerykeion), a staff with a serpent twined around, an something that could be a purse or a pestle. He has what looks like a lit altar to the left. The inscription is not in great condition, possibly the die was damaged or they have corroded off; it looks to start with AI (or AN, bottom left) and end in ΩN.

It is 22mm wide and weighs 7.5g.

any help appreciated!

regards
Dave

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Large Hellenistic coin?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:49:40 am »

Dave S3

Re: Large Hellenistic coin?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 05:54:04 am »
Always very much appreciated :) Very fast too!

See if I can find some harder ones; I have 10 here I haven't managed to find anything similar and another 10 or so that I found similar coins, but not quite the same. Should be something good in there :)

regards
Dave

All coins are guaranteed for eternity