Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this Julius Ceasar fake? Please help...  (Read 775 times)

Offline Jan K2

• Auxiliary
Is this Julius Ceasar fake? Please help...
« on: July 03, 2021, 12:07:00 pm »
Hello to everybody,

I am confused by this denarius, Julius Ceasar, military mint. It has been offered by a reputable auction house, weight is 3,74 g. However, I am confused by the die. It look very different to all what I have seen. I have even checked many photos of fake coins. I was not successful to find such a coin in literature, or coin archives etc.

May I ask the experts here, if this coin is a fake?

Thank you in advance for your help

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Re: Is this Julius Ceasar fake? Please help...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 09:15:36 pm »
It appears to me that the elephant is trampling an upside down boot?  I would be shocked if this was authentic, more like a poor quality replica.

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 08:38:45 am »
Well I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I agree with Jan - Looks to be crude fake. BTW - these are faked a lot, so I would really study known genuine examples for comparison.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 09:20:35 am »
Have you looked for a match in the fake coin reports?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jan K2

• Auxiliary
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 09:43:27 am »
Thank you for all your comments.

Yes, I tried to find such a coin in the fake reports here, but I was not successful. Actually, I have not find any similar coin anywhere in the internet. The auctioneer is a big Austrian auction house with very good reputation, thats why I am confused. I would trust them not to offer such a fake coin. THe elephant, the snake, but also the reverse look very different in comparison to the known dies of the coins from the miliary mint::)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 09:50:52 am »
The blurry pics are distracting. That is a very strange coin.  I suppose it could be an ancient imitative or counterfeit but I think it is much more likely a modern fake. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity