Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius II, FEL TEMP - 2 Captives type, Rome  (Read 680 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Constantius II, FEL TEMP - 2 Captives type, Rome
« on: December 31, 2022, 06:40:19 am »
I wanted to share a recent acquisition.

Constantius II - AE2

Obv:– D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Rosette diademed, draped, cuirassed left, globe in hand (Bust Type G4l); N behind bust
Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Emperor bare headed & in military dress standing, holding standard with chi-rho on banner in his right hand, resting left hand on shield, two bound captives in Phrygian helmets standing, facing each other before him
Minted in Rome (N _ //RT). before June A.D. 350
Reference:- RIC VIII Rome 187/188 var (diadem)
Slight lateral double shift evident on the reverse

I cannot find any other examples of the G4l in this series from Rome. The normal busts in this series are Pearl diademed (G3) and Laurel and rosette diademed (G5).

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Re: Constantius II, FEL TEMP - 2 Captives type, Rome
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 08:45:42 pm »
Very nice, Martin! Such expressive (and annoyed) looking captives.

Online Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 02:15:22 am »
Maridvnvm -- That's a great exemplar of Roman "captives coinage"!

We may have discussed it in other threads, but one of my main collecting interests is "barbarians" and "captives" as depicted on RIC.
This coin touches on a really interesting topic: The details of how the Romans restrained their prisoners/slaves.

I've looked at 1,000s of examples, and your coin provides one of the clearest illustrations (twice!) I've seen of this specific method of restraint. Not all of dies and types show this particular arrangement, but when they do, it's very standardized:

Collar (bronze?) around the neck, a pair of cords (probably rope, maybe leather or chain?) are attached to the collar and run across the torso (possibly 2 diagonal + 2 vertical), attaching to a waist harness (maybe leather?). The captive's arms are bound in back, presumably also tied to the harness.

It's hard to be sure exactly what's going on; the clothing on the Soldier/Emperor (or Victory) can sometimes show similar features. Distinguishing them is the challenge.

Zooming in:

Also: Could those be knots or manacles around the elbows (or just bunched up fabric)?

The same kind of harness/collar arrangement can often be seen on the Victory dragging captive AE4s of Theodosius [LINK] et al. -- especially the ones from this same mint, Cyzicus:

Different mints and examples may show the restraints differently. It's not clear whether the Parthian captives on my Antioch FTR [LINK] are less elaborate:

The specific set-up varies, but based on figurines and depictions in other media, it's clear that they were realistically portraying the treatment of prisoners.

Here's a different arrangement illustrated on a Roman bronze figurine (there are many variants). Unlike the ones shown above, it's clear that the captive can't walk when bound the way shown below, so it must've been used in some other specific context:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/413449

You can often see details of the harnesses and bindings on Denarii and Antoniniani, but in most cases all you can see is that the arms are held together somehow, usually behind the back. When the details are visible, like on your coin, it's something special!

(My Barbarians-Captives-Enemies [BCE] page, using examples from my "BCE Collection" from Republican through Byzantine: [LINK].)
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 09:57:02 am »
Interesting area of research.  I look forwarding to spending some time looking through your site.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online Curtis JJ

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 12:25:06 pm »
Thanks, Shawn. I still need to post a separate page for my FTR's, but those have always been my favorites. I love the "Happy Days" irony. Your KOINON II article & others (incl. Failzmezger, Helvetica's collection, and some of the earlier research on the topic) made me realize there's a lot more being communicated in the details.

The best examples of this type can be real treasures for conveying what was important to them about "barbarians," which is also a wonderful window into how the Romans saw themselves.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 04:25:59 pm »
My original image is reduced size from the full size image that I take. If it is of any use to you I have cropped out the captives at full size from the above image. Could the harness also go downwards between the legs?
Regards,
Martin

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 04:42:34 pm »
Hi We have a small article in the academia.edu

https://www.academia.edu/94961946/Bound_in_bronze_a_Roman_bronze_statuette_of_a_barbarian_prisoner

May be interesting...

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Online Curtis JJ

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 06:43:16 pm »
Thanks for the link to the article Joe / quadrans, that's wonderful material! I've downloaded it to give a close look soon & added it to my Roman captives-and-barbarians bibliography.

@ maridvnvm, that's a good question. Great detail on that larger photo. I hadn't considered whether the restraints/harnesses continued below the waist on these standing ones, but that would be interesting to know. Additional examples combined with non-coin artifacts/artwork may give the answers.

Joe/Q.'s seated barbarian figurines are certainly bound at the legs, too, but they're tied in an immobilized posture, unable to stand. Many seated captives appear to have manacles or the legs otherwise bound, but it's always a little bit ambiguous on coins:

[LINK]

Roman-era captives have even been found buried still shackled, much as shown on some coins [LINK]:

(The Constantinian seated captives always have me wondering what they're wearing, some are almost in straight-jackets: LINK & LINK.)

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 09:05:17 am »
There is a variety in the way in which captives are depicted across a variety of types.

On some types they seem to be on one knee with the other leg raised in front

I like this one as you can clearly see one of the captives is bearded

On some times then seem to be seated with both knees raised in front of them

Here they are crouching / leaning?

Some are simply standing....

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity