Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Max II Daia Alexandria Query  (Read 1161 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Max II Daia Alexandria Query
« on: July 12, 2005, 04:19:15 pm »
I am looking for an id for a coin. I don't have the coin yet and hence no images. I cannot find it in RCI. I think I am simply missing it somewhere and can't see for looking.

Coin is as follows:-

Ae Follis
Obv:- GAL VAL MAXIMINVS NOB CAES, Laureate bust right
Rev:- GENIO CA-ESARIS, Genius standing left etc...
X over  :Greek_Delta: in left field, K in right field, ALE in exe.

And therein lies the problem. I cannot find this set of series marks in RIC!

Could someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what I am missing.

Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Max II Daia Alexandria Query
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 04:42:02 pm »
Lars,

As you can see it seems to be a variation of the series that contains RIC 78 that you pointed out. RIC 78 has X in left, A- :Greek_Stigma: over K in right, with ALE in exe. This coin has the X overĀ  :Greek_Delta: in the left field and so doesn't match this series.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 04:51:36 pm »
Well, I checked all of Alexandria and didn't find it... but let's wait for other opinions, maybe we are both just blind. But I'd guess you're right, an unpublished variety (RIC 78 var.?).

Regards
Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 05:12:16 pm »
According to note 1 on p. 675, the arrangement of the letters in field varies in this issue. 
One of the possibilities Sutherland mentions is precisely that on Martin's coin, X above officina letter in l. field, K in r. field.
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 05:17:28 pm »
Many thanks Curtis.
I have stared and stared and missed the note that was right under my nose the whole time.
I knew it should be there somewhere. In my search I have failed to find other examples with the same arrangement but that is from fairly limied online resources.
Thanks all.
Regards,
Martin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity