Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An alexander tetradrachm from Bvlgari?is it ok?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline XLi

• Consul
An alexander tetradrachm from Bvlgari?is it ok?
« on: September 25, 2021, 05:16:04 am »
A friend of mine bought it at 2005 from bulgari,the oberverse look good but there is a strange protrusion on the face.The letters of the reverse looked not very well...

Offline dwarf

• Consul
Re: An alexander tetradrachm from Bvlgari?is it ok?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 05:51:30 am »
To my knowledge Bulgari worked with a most respected coin seller and I never saw any fake coins with their jewellry.
OK - they charged decent prices  :) - but the coins were genuine - as in this case

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 06:33:07 am »

Offline XLi

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 09:02:34 am »
To my knowledge Bulgari worked with a most respected coin seller and I never saw any fake coins with their jewellry.
OK - they charged decent prices  :) - but the coins were genuine - as in this case

But I don’t know if this is a genuine Bulgari jewellery. If it’s a counterfeit Bulgari, do you think it’s genuine just for the coin itself?

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 09:55:37 am »
Well - either you trust your friend or you don't

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 11:18:47 am »
... This looks like a die match ...
Looking at C. A. Marinescu & C. Lorber, The "Black Sea" Tetradrachm Hoard, in Paunov & FIlipova, eds., HPAKLEOYΣ ΣΩTHPOΣ THAΣIΩN. Studia in honorem Iliae Prokopov (Veliko Turnovo, 2012), pp. 197-259, you will find even more (numbers 267 to 276 on page 211)
https://www.academia.edu/4691602/C._Marinescu_and_C._Lorber_The_Black_Sea_Tetradrachm_Hoard_in_Paunov_and_FIlipova_eds._HPAKLEOY%CE%A3_%CE%A3%CE%A9THPO%CE%A3_THA%CE%A3I%CE%A9N._Studia_in_honorem_Iliae_Prokopov_Veliko_Turnovo_2012_pp._197-259

This type has been produced with a very small number of dies only.

Regards

Altamura

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 09:49:55 am »
What is golden tinge on Zeus/Alexander's cheek?  Just reflection from the rim or silver plate wearing off to reveal brass underneath??

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity