Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Same Coins But Different Die Rotation?  (Read 328 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Same Coins But Different Die Rotation?
« on: July 03, 2021, 06:26:51 pm »
I received some purchased coins and then attributed them.  Other than patina I was a little saddened to find that two coins are exactly the same, right down to the mint and field marks (photo of one coin attached).  I then discovered that despite them being the same, their die rotation is opposite each other.  One coin is 12h/12h while the other is 12h/6h.

Should the same coin have a reversed die rotation from another of the exact same?

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Same Coins But Different Die Rotation?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 09:56:31 pm »
Dear Ken P & Board,

Don't worry!  The die axis of a particular ancient coin issue can be strictly controlled, very wonky, or somewhere in between.  It really depends on who is minting the coin.  A few Roman provincial examples:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/3904

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/1332

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/9/417

Note that nearly all the recorded specimens of the last issue were struck from a single pair of dies! 

I was just thinking now about the 12h/6h situations where some control was obviously being exercised.  In some cases I can see a 180 degree shift in die orientation happening when either the hammer or anvil die is being replaced or when one worker wants to take a break and hands the hammer die over to a colleague across from him.  Think about this closely.  If it was just the die he was handing over, a change in die axis may or may not happen.  But if it was being held by a pair of tongs or some other kind of stabilizing instrument, then the die shift would have to be 180 degrees if Minter #2 was trying to be a mirror of Minter #1.  Interesting.       

Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Re: Same Coins But Different Die Rotation?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 08:11:48 am »
Thanks so much Mark for taking the time to find examples and explain things for me.  I do appreciate that!
For centuries the Romans were great with coin standardization, I would have thought that would include die axis too.  One is always learning.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity