Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexander Tetradrachm (Non-posthumous)  (Read 814 times)

Offline Eric C2

• Legionary
Alexander Tetradrachm (Non-posthumous)
« on: April 06, 2021, 09:26:10 am »
It has been a while since I have last posted here, so please forgive me if this question is in the wrong spot on the boards.

So my question is: How can you tell whether or not a silver Tetradrachm was minted during Alexander The Great's lifetime?

There seem to be a lot of Tetradrachm available that are known to be minted post-humously, but I don't think I have seen any (in my limited experience) that are known to be minted in Alexander's lifetime.

Is there a way of identifying Tetradrachm minted in his lifetime?

Thank you for your kind assistance,
If you can't hold it, you don't own it.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Alexander Tetradrachm (Non-posthumous)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 02:28:41 am »
I think Martin J. Price's book Coinage in the name of Alexander the Great is what many people use to attribute Alexander tetradrachms mint locations and times.  

PtolemAE

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 08:14:32 am »
Quote from: PtolemAE on April 09, 2021, 02:28:41 am
... I think Martin J. Price's book Coinage in the name of Alexander the Great is what many people use to attribute Alexander tetradrachms mint locations and times. ...
The catalog part of it is represented in the PELLA database: http://numismatics.org/pella/

But you have to be aware that many attributions of both, time and place, are rather good conjectures than exact knowledge  :-\. For many variants we don't know for sure.
And you have even coins which are in some sense simultaneously lifetime and posthumous, because their minting began before 323 BC and ended after.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Eric C2

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 01:50:51 pm »
Thank you both for your very helpful response.
If you can't hold it, you don't own it.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 04:12:08 pm »
Quote from: PtolemAE on April 09, 2021, 02:28:41 am
... I think Martin J. Price's book Coinage in the name of Alexander the Great is what many people use to attribute Alexander tetradrachms mint locations and times. ...
The catalog part of it is represented in the PELLA database: http://numismatics.org/pella/

But you have to be aware that many attributions of both, time and place, are rather good conjectures than exact knowledge  :-\. For many variants we don't know for sure.
And you have even coins which are in some sense simultaneously lifetime and posthumous, because their minting began before 323 BC and ended after.

Regards

Altamura

Your latter point is what always makes me wonder about many ancient Greek coin regnal attributions. For some we may be sure their production began and ended during a particular king's reign (e.g. coins related to a war or olympic games or other event with known dates), but for others it may be wise to take anyone's statement that 'this coin was made during the reign of this one specific king' with a healthy grain of salt. That said, I admire Price and other scholars who try to narrow down time ranges for coins with what little solid information is sometimes available. Those pesky ancient Greek mint managers left such poor records of all the important stuff we'd like to know :)

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity