Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What is it? Nirva or Trajan?  (Read 671 times)

Martina K

What is it? Nirva or Trajan?
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:16:41 pm »
Hello You all,

We found a Roman coin that's, as far as we can find, from about Nerva or Traian.
I've added some pictures.
The text on it is, as far as we can see and found out, "IMP CAES NERVA TRAIN AVG GERM PM".
I haven't seen on the forum a good coin with this emperor and Victoria (in this pose) on the backside. The text on the backside is hard to read, but S and C and SPQR is good to see. Also a few characters, like the "T" is to see.

Who can tell what it is exactly, how old it is and what's the value of it?

Gr. Erik en Tina
The Netherlands

TRPOT

Re: What is it? Nirva or Trajan?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »
It is Trajan. I'm sure someone with reference books handy will give you a more exact attribution. As far as value goes... not much in that condition.

Martina K

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 02:53:23 pm »
Thanks!

We won't sell it (or it would give a fortune  ;) ), but pure for interest.

I expected already that it's a Trajan, but couldn't find a good example with both that persons on it.

Erik

TRPOT

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:57:28 pm »
I like the reverse. It is similar to a design first used by Nero on some of his coins. The coin may not have much monetary value but it is still interesting and worth holding on to.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:09:20 pm »

putting you up a link to a photo of a similar coin

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/bigpic.cgi?img=coins/./ric/trajan/RIC_0417cf.jpg&ruler=./ric/trajan/i.html

ROMAN EMPIRE: Trajan (AD 98-117). AE as (11.37 gm), AD
      100. Laureate head of Trajan right / TR POT COS III P P
      S-C, Victory alighting left, holding shield inscribed S
      P / Q R.

Offline justus

• Caesar
  • Quidquid agis prudenter agas et respice finem.
    • Trierer Münzfreunde
Augusta Treverorum, Germany
Articles - https://independent.academia.edu/HJJost

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:57:21 pm »
There are four possible coins with different reverse legends:

RIC 395: TR POT COS II
RIC 402: TR POT COS II P P
RIC 417: TR POT COS III P P
RIC 434: TR POT COS IIII P P

Regards, Stefan

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 04:57:48 pm »

yes having studied the examples i do think that you guys are correct and RIC 395 is the one as it has the correct break in the obverse legend 

TRPOT

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 06:02:48 pm »
Of course these RIC numbers are of little importance to somebody who just happened to find a Roman coin. Only collectors care about such things.

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:04:56 am »
It's not only the number in RIC, which is only of interest to collectors and scientists, in fact, but the exact reading of the legends and connected with it the date the coin was minted. This was exactly the question asked here:

The text on the backside is hard to read, but S and C and SPQR is good to see. Also a few characters, like the "T" is to see.

Who can tell what it is exactly, how old it is and what's the value of it?

RIC 395 is the only coin of the possibilities mentioned above I would exclude, actually, because I think I can make out the P P at the end of the legend.

Regards, Stefan

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 02:10:36 am »

well the RIC number does depend on that reverse legend and with the split in the obverse where it is will be a new variation in that catagory
 will have another look at the letters but if you can see PP then you are correct again that it will not be 395 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity