Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Republican Diana * COTD  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
Republican Diana * COTD
« on: February 25, 2006, 01:39:56 pm »

Greetings all,

As I’m about to set this lovely coin with the others in my collection and likewise, now catalogued, add it to my Gallery, I just want to share this one here too as my Republican Diana, COTD.

I’m sure the type has been seen many times by FORVM’ers, but I’ve not ever seen many and, until this one, never one in like-condition.

Struck in the same year that Sulla resigned his dictatorship and moved into relative ‘seclusion’ in his country villa.
  Incidentally, also the same year that the young Cicero at age 26 departed from Rome to seek his higher, further education in Greece.
  To add to the time, the moneyer is also notable – Tiberius Claudius Nero, who – if I understand which one this was correctly – as a member of the Claudian family was well set in the family-tree and familial connections spanning many generations – a most impressive lineage and an important man as son, father, grandfather and great grandfather.
  My ‘if’ above rests on the curiosity that if this is the same Tiberius Claudius Nero so connected to future Imperators – at the time this coin was struck bearing his name, he must have been only about six years old.
  (If anyone would like to clarify on this, I’ll be most-grateful).
 The two Consuls for the year were Appius Claudius Pulcher and Publius Servilius Vatia.

I hope someone – or more – may enjoy seeing this one …
   I’m certainly pleased to have it.

My Republican Diana – COTD *

Diana with Bow and Quiver Victory in Biga * Roman Republican, Serrate AR Den., 79 BC.

Obv: Diana, diademed and draped bust facing right, hair pulled up and bound behind, bow and quiver over her shoulder; S.C. before.
Rev: Victory driving a charging biga to the right, holding reins and palm-branch in left hand and wreath in her right, control mark A. XI below.

Exergue: Off flan. [ TI. CLAVD TI. F. APN ].

Mint:     Rome
Struck: 79 BC.

Size:      18.50 mm. (Flan circumference at largest). ca. 17.00 mm. (Beaded border where measurable).
Weight:   3.9 gms.
Die axis: 190°

Condition: Exceptional. Bright, clear, radiant luster.  Both sides well struck though slightly off-center and with a very slight bend near the rim (ca. 190° obverse).  Excellent relief and details on both sides.

Refs:
Sear, 310.
Claudia 6.
Crawford 383/1
Sydenham, 770a
BMCRR, Rome 3103
Kestner, 3233 var. (control numeral)

Any thoughts, comments or otherwise, warmly welcomed as always …

Best,

Tia

Edited, with thanks to b70 for pointing to my error.

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Re: Republican Diana * COTD
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:24:37 am »
Fantastic Coin ! A worthy adition to any collection for sure!

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 01:45:40 pm »
Very, very nice - Those horses really are at full stretch. 
Malcolm

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 02:24:22 pm »
I didn't fully realize until I started taking coins seriously how truly different the western (Latin) deities are from their eastern (Greek) equivalents.  Artemis and Diana a case in point.  Hera and Juno another.  Ares and Mars an extreme case.  And although Augustus truly adopted Apollo as his own, he always felt like a foster child and left home early.  It's always a little like French restaurants in the mid-west of America (not that some of them aren't excellent: if you want to dine, go to Chicago) or Disneyland in the middle of France, for that matter.  Not that the adoptions aren't sometimes brilliant, either: think of Once Upon a Time in the West.  Nowhere is the distinctiveness better studied than in Republican denarii.  I love Tia's Diana.  And its condition helps.
Pat

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 03:22:55 pm »
Beautiful surfaces! Congrats, Tia! Sometimes I think Greek is art and Roman is handicraft!

Best regards

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 04:56:56 pm »

Thanks very-much everyone…
  I much appreciate these kind comments – the more so from such company as yourselves.

&nd thanks also for that additional mentioning, Pat.  Henceforward I’ll pay even closer attention to the differences between the Greek and the Roman ‘equivalents.’
  I admit that hitherto I’ve paid closest attention to the similarities and have regarded the differences more superficially than one should – or, as you underscore here, than they deserve.

I’m most grateful for the thoughts each of you have shared.  :)

Best, as always –
   Tia

My Gallery

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 06:42:56 pm »
Someday when I have purchased the last Flavian denarius on my long list (lol)...I will start my Republican collection. The above coin illustrates why. Superb.

Online maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 04:35:47 am »
That is the second time in the last couple of weeks that I have seen a Republican coin that has made me long to own one of similar artistry and quality. I am ignorant of the history and coinage of the Republic and this is a situation that I will attempt to remedy this year. I can only hope that any coin that I purchase will be anywhere near as beautiful as the one illustrated here. Thanks Tia.
Regards,
Martin

Offline the_Apostate

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 04:53:56 am »
 :)

Beautiful Diana!

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 07:52:47 pm »

Thanks very much for the kind words and thoughts shared here David, Martin and the Apostate…
  ( I nearly typed ‘Julian’ here – but to be safe, I’ll keep in mind he wasn’t the first nor the last…  Nor forget that I’m one myself ).

;)

I do appreciate the comments from all however … Many thanks.

Best, as ever –
  Tia

My Gallery

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 05:00:23 pm »
Hi Tia dear

Those horses seem to fly. It's really lovely
The whole coin is very delicate, I like it very much, congratulations

Regards
JC

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 05:41:08 pm »

Ave!  My dear, dear friend Jean-Claude!

Thanks very much for these kind words… :)
  In addition to always being such a joy to hear from you again, they are in-themselves, for themselves, deeply appreciated.
  The delicacy of the coin on the whole is well-observed, too…
  I’ve thought and felt just the same way about it – so much so, that I haven’t yet brought myself to place it in the display case with the others, and have it yet on my night-stand by my bed to look at it in-hand – which I do often.  :)

Most gratefully –
  &nd of course, with the best & warmest regards, as ever –

Tia

My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity