Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: TIP: START WITH ANCIENT COIN AUTHENTICATION 101  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
TIP: START WITH ANCIENT COIN AUTHENTICATION 101
« on: April 25, 2021, 09:39:58 am »
To learn how to authenticate ancient coins, start here:

Ancient Coin Authentication 101

I have moved the content of some of our sticky posts to this new NumisWiki page. Right now I think it is pretty much a shell page, needing a lot of work. Please feel free to add to and improve the page.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Dov M

• Auxiliary
Re: TIP: START WITH ANCIENT COIN AUTHENTICATION 101
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 02:36:17 am »
Hi!
I am a bit overwhelmed by the awesomeness of your site and extensive knowledge. I had the pleasure of purchasing my most prized coin -  a gold daric - from you and it still is the pride of my collection.
I don't really know how or where to ask this, so I am doing so here...
 I am new here and looking for some clarity... After purchasing these coins from what seemed like a reputable seller, I managed to find the seller's Instagram page and it just seems fishy that almost every coin his/hers is quite perfectly shaped. I could barely find info on the actual business but finally got their name: House of Caesars and Caliphs based in Collingwood Toronto. On Ebay they are called HCC biblical judaea Decapolis coins. They were mentioned on a Reddit discussion but not much info could be clarified. I bought a Demetrios ll didrachm, but after feeling in my hand and seeing their other coins, I am suspicious... After a lot of research I also could not find a similar example of the Star of David Crusader coin they sold other than their offerings of many more on ebay... Please help with any clarity about this seller...
I have now really learned to stick with a small list of reknowned honest sellers - as you are, but it wasn't so easy to find a list of good sellers.
Thank you so much!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 03:08:25 pm »
I frankly don't pay much attention to other sellers. It is considered rude and bad practice to denigrate your competition. I have no desire to praise or recommend anyone other than FORVM and our Procurator Monetae member dealers. I really just don't have anything to say about other sellers. I will say I have never heard of the seller you discuss. I have also never heard of a Star of David crusader coin. I have seen Islamic coins with the star and I suspect that is the type you discuss.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Dov M

• Auxiliary
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 02:30:49 am »
Thank you. I appreciate the reply. Keep up the amazing work you do!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity