Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cast Copy of SBCV 1833 Constantine IX  (Read 671 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Cast Copy of SBCV 1833 Constantine IX
« on: November 22, 2021, 10:36:33 pm »
This coin took 2 years to get to me, it is in my hands tonight.  I knew it was attributed incorrectly as a Alexius Post reform tetarteron. At first glance in hand it looks good but after the photograph you can clearly see it was made to deceive. I believe it to be a cast of SBCV-1833. I am guessing modern.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Cast Copy of SBCV 1833 Constantine IX
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 05:35:00 pm »
Well, that sucks!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 07:28:07 pm »
Yup, I knew it was wrong when I purchased it, it had mail issues for the last two years. The paperwork that came with it shows a history of auctions and such, it is just not the correct coin. Someone mixed it up and replaced the original with this coin. However, it is the same coin I purchased. 

I am not real disappointed because the other coin it came with is also miss attributed but is a nice and rare example, and it is easily worth the cost of both coins. I will post it in the byzantine section and replace my example on my catalog collection.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 07:47:45 am »
I admire your philosophic view.  I fear in the same situation I would be rending flesh and bone.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 10:58:40 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 07:01:30 am »
Is it a modern cast copy?  Or is it a fouree?  What is the weight?  Metal?  It looks like silver -- but is this a B/W photo?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity