Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trausnitz Collection?  (Read 1612 times)

Delaunay1881

Trausnitz Collection?
« on: May 22, 2020, 07:14:02 pm »
Hello, Everyone,

I recently bought a Roman coin from the Trausnitz Collection (Germany). Does anyone know anything about this collection or who the collector was other than he was German?

Best wishes,

Anthony

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Trausnitz Collection?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 05:45:38 am »
I don't know if this is just a name match, but there is the famous Trausnitz collection in castle Trausnitz, which includes also ancient coins.

https://www.burg-trausnitz.de/englisch/kunst/index.htm

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 07:07:36 am »
Given the quoted provenances of the Trausnitz Collection coins in recent auctions include acquisition dates in the years 1985-2005 a link to the 16th Century Trausnitz Castle collection seems unlikely.

Rather, Trausnitz, a municipality in the district of Schwandorf in Bavaria may be the home of the collector that consigned the coins and thus the source of the moniker applied the collection by auction house to give the coins some false gravitas in the marketing. One of the auction houses identified is renown for this sort of ploy, applying meaningless pseudo-provenances to many of its coins such as "from the inventory of a Bavarian merchant" or a "Californian collection" etc.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Delaunay1881

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 05:03:22 pm »
Thank you for this. Ah! I see ... yes, I understand what you are saying about added gravitas. Fortunately, the coin I purchased is in lovely condition and I did not buy it for the supposed provenance of 'Trausnitz Collection'. However, I can see that I have missed a trick here and I can think of a number of auction houses that indulge in this gravitas game - it explains why I have rarely been ablve to find these supposed 'collectors'. Thank you for opening my eyes to this aspect of the game.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 08:47:17 pm »
https://coinsweekly.com/obolos-18-the-trausnitz-collection/

I was just looking it up, I have a coin from his collection. This article explains a little more.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 07:52:39 pm »
Thanks for the link to the Obolos 18 promotion which explains the provenance (extract attached) ...
Rather, Trausnitz, a municipality in the district of Schwandorf in Bavaria may be the home of the collector that consigned the coins and thus the source of the moniker applied the collection by auction house ..

All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity