Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: South Arabian references  (Read 1025 times)

karakorum

South Arabian references
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:08:42 am »
Hello,

I am considering purchase of some reference books for coinage of South Arabia, my range of interest is from the Himyarites/Sabaeans up to the Ottomans.  I wish to know how useful the following titles are for this particular focus (for ID, historical background, and help in script interpretation for non-Arabic coins).  Also, if there are suggestions for references I have not listed here.

Munroe-Hay, Stuart.   Mare Erythraeum Vol VI:  Pre-Islamic coinage of the Yemen

Munroe-Hay, Stuart.  Coinage of Arabia-Felix (2003)

SNG ANS VI - Palestine-South Arabia (1981)

Plant, Richard.  Greek, Semetic, and Asiatic Coins and how to read them (1979) 

Nutzel, Heinrich.  Coins of the Rasulids (1987)

Thank you in advance for your input.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: South Arabian references
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 09:37:27 am »
I can't say much since I don't collect these, but SNG is cheap, and covers a lot of issues, like Nabateans, which are hard to get info on otherwise. I'd buy it on price alone.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

ember

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 10:56:10 am »
Hi,

Munro-Hay "Coins of Arabia Felix" is excellent up to and including the Himyarites.  Nothing past the bucranium issues of the Himyarites, tho.

Brgds,
Darcy

karakorum

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:52:23 am »
Thank you both for your input, much appreciated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity