Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arabia Felix AE15?  (Read 1425 times)

kerux

Arabia Felix AE15?
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:40:35 am »
I didn't get a response to this in the identification area, so I thought I'd try the collectors in the area of "holyland" coins. My coin is a prutah sized (AE15) coin that I believe is a south Arabian imitation (1st pic).

It is similar to the Arabian imitations of the Athenian Tetradrachms - see 2nd pic (cf. SNG ANS Pt. 6, 1453-1454). This coin however is smaller and lighter.

AE15
Obv: Degraded helmeted head of Athena?
Rev: Owl standing, head facing, A :Greek_Theta:E to left?

Any thoughts on what this might be? Could it be SNG ANS 1454 on a smallish flan?

Joe W.

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
Re: Arabia Felix AE15?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 10:52:03 am »
Hi
I wont give you an exact ID because I dont have referance for this, but I saw such a coin befor came from Yemen, and I am kind of sure that it is south Arabian imitation .
I had one befor I bought with Nabatean lot from Petra, and the only ID  will be around that area.
all the best
Salem

kerux

Re: Arabia Felix AE15?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 04:55:45 pm »
Hi
I wont give you an exact ID because I dont have referance for this, but I saw such a coin befor came from Yemen, and I am kind of sure that it is south Arabian imitation .
I had one befor I bought with Nabatean lot from Petra, and the only ID  will be around that area.
all the best
Salem

Thanks for the response, Salem. Now if I can just find someone with the right reference...!

Joe W.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity