Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pius Apollo sestertius head left to head right  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Charles S

• Consul
Pius Apollo sestertius head left to head right
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:03:21 am »
Hello,

I have placed a sestertius of Antoninus Pius, a rare head left variety of the Apollo reverse, RIC 598: see top coin: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-119392 .

Challenging the regular RIC 598.  see bottom coin: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-67662 .

Cheers,
Charles
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Pius Apollo sestertius head left to head right
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:25:29 am »
I don't claim to fully understand the rules but I don't think you can challenge it. It's a different coin with a different reference number.
Andreas Reich

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 08:50:19 am »
Quote from: areich on 23 March 2015, 14:25:29
I don't claim to fully understand the rules but I don't think you can challenge it. It's a different coin with a different reference number.

I disagree that this coin has a different reference number: it definitely has not.  It is exactly of the type described by RIC 598 , which includes the various bust types which were known when this volume of RIC (vol. III, 1930) was written .  For 598 these were two bust types and both happen to be facing right.  If the left bust type had been known, it would surely have been included under that same RIC number, as it was for instance for RIC 607 (Jupiter Stator) which includes both the head right and the head left bust types.  

Therefore I believe my challenge is a valid one, but I will leave it to the moderator to make the final decision.

Regards,
Charles
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:05:59 am »
Therefore I believe my challenge is a valid one, but I will leave it to the moderator to make the final decision.

Regards,
Charles

Charles, the RIC numbers might be the same but I do not think a head to head contest should be initiated in this case because, despite that fact, the coins themselves are patently different.
While reference numbers are indeed used to decide which coins are eligible for a head to head contest and minor variations are often ignored, major differences, as in this case, are not. I am sorry, but as far as the BOT gallery is concerned, I think that they should be regarded as different types.

Regards,

*Alex

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 10:28:45 am »

I agree *Alex. As I read RIC 598, there is:

(a) head, laureate r.
(b) bust draped (or draped, cuirassed) laureate r.

and unlisted, but possible:

(c) head, laureate l.

Pekka K

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:47:44 am »
OK, if that is the general feeling, I'll accept it.  I will still leave my example in BOT at this very spot, even though it is very unlikely there will be a challenge in the foreseeable future.  On the other hand, I find it nice to see these two varieties of the same type next to each other.  I find them both very nice examples.

Regards,
Charles
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 11:53:00 am »
OK, if that is the general feeling, I'll accept it.  I will still leave my example in BOT at this very spot, even though it is very unlikely there will be a challenge in the foreseeable future.  On the other hand, I find it nice to see these two varieties of the same type next to each other.  I find them both very nice examples.

Regards,
Charles

Hi Charles,

I think that you misunderstand the purpose of the BOT gallery. Of course both coins are very nice examples and as such both should be in the gallery.

The head to heads are not the BOT gallery's purpose, the head to heads are only there as a fair and fun way to involve FORVM members in the removal of coins which would be duplicates and, at the same time, serving the purpose of raising the quality of the coins in the gallery. This is better than for a member of FORVM staff simply to choose whichever coin they personally find preferable. The more varieties and the more quality coins such as those which you have been uploading recently are exactly what we want to see in the gallery.

We want members to upload as many of their high quality coins as they are able into the BOT gallery so that it can be used as a resource of the best quality examples available - i.e. the best of the type.

I hope that this has been helpful and I thank-you very much, I am very grateful for your participation in the gallery.

Regards

*Alex.

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 12:07:22 pm »
Hi Alex,
Yes indeed, I have been concentrating on finding challenges in this gallery up to now.  Thank you for clarifying the true purpose of BOT.   With this in mind I'll upload a few more in the near future.

Regards,
Charles
Charles Schotman

My gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity