Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: sicily dekadrachm  (Read 635 times)

Offline Caesarincarnate

• Consul
  • Vorenus, you look like you've seen the gorgon.
sicily dekadrachm
« on: August 16, 2013, 05:38:46 pm »
hello all. please feel free to offer your usual chastisements about the folly of buying on ebay, but after winning this dekadrachm, I saw a few pages showing the actual value of these coins, and now am pretty certain this is a fake. any opinions are appreciated. thank you

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: sicily dekadrachm
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:13:02 pm »
hello all. please feel free to offer your usual chastisements about the folly of buying on ebay, but after winning this dekadrachm, I saw a few pages showing the actual value of these coins, and now am pretty certain this is a fake. any opinions are appreciated. thank you

I am sure that a genuine dekadrachm has never been offered on eBay. Nor have certain famous rare tetradrachm types, e.g. the Silenus type from Naxos. Nor a genuine EID MAR. In fact, as a rule of thumb, any coin that normally retails above $50,000, when offered on eBay, is invariably actually a replica worth $5. That's the expectation. One can find $1000 coins on eBay, and occasionally $2k - $5k coins at fixed prices (invariably at double retail), but any more important coin is a $5 replica. I guess, as a replica, it's value might be a bit above $5 - if in nice silver plate and decent style it's worth a bit more; solid silver hallmarked replicas can retail $50. But the starting point is that such an exceptionally desirable type is assumed to be a modern replica. Regardless how nice it looks.

Offline Caesarincarnate

• Consul
  • Vorenus, you look like you've seen the gorgon.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »
I figured as much. thanks very much. a stupid move on my part.
fake coin report?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:35:58 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 03:54:58 pm »

I am sure that a genuine dekadrachm has never been offered on eBay. Nor have certain famous rare tetradrachm types, e.g. the Silenus type from Naxos. Nor a genuine EID MAR.

If I recall correctly when I was at CNG circa 2000/1 we did offer an Eid Mar and a decadrachm on eBay, both genuine.

Barry Murphy

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 05:11:06 pm »

I am sure that a genuine dekadrachm has never been offered on eBay. Nor have certain famous rare tetradrachm types, e.g. the Silenus type from Naxos. Nor a genuine EID MAR.

If I recall correctly when I was at CNG circa 2000/1 we did offer an Eid Mar and a decadrachm on eBay, both genuine.

Barry Murphy

Seems that eBay has changed somewhat!

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 06:57:47 pm »
Seems that eBay has changed somewhat!

Most of us have.  In 2000 I bought a lot of coins on eBay because you could find decent items and prices were based on auction results.  Now they reward posting thousands of items even if you sell few so it seems a waste of time to sort through the junk to find coins actually likely to sell.  Today, I generally find a few things of interest at a starting price not above reason but the question is whether we are willing to view page after page of junk and overpriced (10x over?) to find something we might want.  I'd love to see eBay change their fee structure to reward selling things rather than listing them. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity