Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Roman Republic to 49 BCE  (Read 339 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
The Roman Republic to 49 BCE
« on: February 22, 2023, 10:48:00 pm »
Curious if anyone has seen this book. Cost is super reasonable, especially if you are an ANS member. I wonder how detailed it is on coins, but I am thinking that, for my interests, this may be perfect as I do not get super detailed with these coins and I like the history aspect. Anyone have any insight?

The Roman Republic to 49 BCE by Liz Yarrow
This accessible but authoritative guide introduces the student of ancient history to the various ways in which they can help us understand the history of the Roman republic, with fresh insights on early Roman-Italian relations, Roman imperialism, urban politics, constitutional history, the rise of powerful generals and much more.

Virgil

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
Re: The Roman Republic to 49 BCE
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 11:06:59 pm »
It's a great little book, I'd have no hesitation recommending it. (In fact, the entire series of Using Ancient Coins as Sources from Cambridge U. Press is really good. You can read at least one or two online free [legally!] to get an idea.)

It's not a catalog of types, more like introductory history & numismatic "theory," so it sounds like what you want. It's not too technical and doesn't assume too much background, but it's for a serious educated readership.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 11:22:02 pm »
Thanks, Curtis, it actually does seem perfect for me. Republicans are one area I am not in the weeds with, but simply love the coins and history. For the price, you really can't go wrong.

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 07:51:31 pm »
Hi Virgil,

I echo Curtis' sentiments. I own four in the series (are there currently more than four? I haven't checked in a while). Including the one that you mentioned I own From Caesar to Augustus, The Athenian Empire, and The Hellenistic World. I've greatly enjoyed each one and have learned from each one. If you have the budget and want to buy all four, then I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 08:46:12 pm »
Thanks Tracy, I am definitely getting this one and will look at the others. I can't figure out what the ANS discount code is. LOL. It is a super bargain at the ANS price.

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 09:06:15 pm »
Sorry, but I am also not sure what the code is. According to the ANS website it appears as if there are currently only four volumes in the series. I wonder when they will publish a fifth and what the topic will be.

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 09:45:37 pm »
It's fine. I will get it. Austin Andrews. who I usually write to at ANS, is on vacation this week. I can wait. Thanks.
Virgil

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 07:51:30 am »
Sorry, but I am also not sure what the code is. According to the ANS website it appears as if there are currently only four volumes in the series. I wonder when they will publish a fifth and what the topic will be.

Tracy
I think Keith Rutter is doing one on archaic coinage and one on Persian Coinage.  Might be a different series however.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 09:38:56 am »
Molinari,

Thank you for the lead. I'll have to look for those in the future.

Tracy

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 02:00:01 pm »
Re: the Using Coins as Sources series from Cambridge, I mentioned that a couple were free online but didn't give the links. Well, I'm glad I didn't, since upon double-checking they don't look entirely legal. I'm also glad I bought hard copies!

There are 23-34 page Google Books Previews available for all four volumes I know of (I haven't yet bought the newest, Kroh & Kallet, but plan to). Hopefully the links work for everyone and aren't limited to USA or anything.

Sounds like Virgil's decision is made (to buy, which is definitely the correct decision!), but for anyone on the fence, here are the previews:

Kroll John & Kallet, Lisa. 2020. The Athenian Empire: Using Coins as Sources. Cambridge University Press.
Google Books Preview (23 Pages): https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Athenian_Empire/5in-DwAAQBAJ

Rowan, Clare. 2019. From Caesar to Augustus (c. 49 BC-AD 14): Using Coins as Sources. Cambridge University Press.
Google Books Preview (29pp): https://www.google.com/books/edition/_/f5VuDwAAQBAJ?

Thonemann, Peter. 2015. The Hellenistic World: Using Coins as Sources. Cambridge University Press.
Google Books Preview (29 pp): https://www.google.com/books/edition/_/kMLrCgAAQBAJ?

Yarrow, Liv. 2021. The Roman Republic to 49 BCE: Using Coins as Sources. Cambridge University Press.
Google Books Preview (34 pp.): https://www.google.com/books/edition/_/5PMgEAAAQBAJ?

p.s. For anyone else like me who enjoys making unattractive-but-functional homemade book-boxes and slipcovers, a USPS small Priority mail box holds my three softcovers perfectly!

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 11:27:05 pm »
The series is valuable as a modern guide to numismatic theory and the connections to the field of history.  You won't learn "everything " about the subjects, but you will likely come away with far greater context for your future learning and collecting.  The authors are mostly quite active on social media and often have far more detailed and focused pieces available, especially Liv Yarrow.  The 100+ year old public domain books in pdf are often quite important but they are products of their time and need modern context to be of the most value.
  Please do buy the books rather than copied pieces, numismatics gets little funding, and consider joining ANS numismatics.org . If we don't support numismatic research today, we will be relying on outdated pdfs forever.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 11:43:37 pm »
Thanks for your opinion of the book, this is what I hope it is and all I expect. I hope you didn't think I was trying to get an illegal ANS discount code. I am an ANS member at the AJN level. One of the perks is a great discount on their books, of which this is one. The ANS is perhaps the best organization I have ever been a member of. I even sent them an extra donation in Dec for their year end appeal. I had written Austin Andrews at the ANS as I said. He is not there this week. That said, I figured out the code and bought the book last night and eagerly look forward to it.

Virgil

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 07:54:30 am »
hope you didn't think I was trying to get an illegal...
Virgil, it didn't come off that way. I'm sure he was following off my comment that I'd accidentally stumbled across a pirated copy that I initially thought was legal (but luckily noticed before sharing a link!).

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 02:24:12 pm »
Ah yes, that makes sense. Thanks.
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity