Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincials in City/Province Folders or Roman Folder?  (Read 404 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Roman Provincials in City/Province Folders or Roman Folder?
« on: February 13, 2023, 11:47:36 pm »
I was wondering if there is any consensus. I have major issues with Greek Roman Provincials and where to put them. Especially if emperors are on the coin. I am getting there with my gallery. For example, I have an Augustus/Livia coin from Ephesus. My gut feel is to put it in my Ephesus folder with all other coins of that city (note that folder does not yet exist), yet I keep thinking it needs to be in the Imperial or a Provincial category. I have a super brain issue when it comes to coins like this and where to put them in my trays. This particular coin I was about to add to my gallery is in my Ephesus tray right now. What do you all think? I know, pretty trivial.

Virgil

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Roman Provincials in City/Province Folders or Roman Folder?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 03:29:05 am »
I would say that it is a legitimate question and one that ultimately you need to decide yourself. However, you could perhaps place your Greek provincials in a newly formed Ephesus gallery and seperate them by specific rulers. E.g. Greek Ephesus - During the reign of [Augustus, Nero, Domitian. etc]. I am a stickler for organization and prefer a well layed out and informative gallery ::)

Please take a look at my gallery, it may or may not help you in your decision.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 05:11:21 am »
Why don't you just put them in both galleries?

Of course, you can't do that with the real coin, but you can in the digital galleries/folders.

I have done this when, for example, the obverse belongs to one "special collection" and the reverse to another.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 05:38:38 pm »
Thanks Arados and Shanxi. I didn't think about double posting, but that might be a good idea for the gallery. And I agree, I need to just make up my mind. LOL. There are really four categories in my mind.

-Greek coins
-Greek coins after Roman conquest, I guess these would be Roman Provincials
-Coins from cities that were not official Roman mints that have emperors on them
-Roman Imperial

Then, I guess I could add imitations

My practice now is the first three I put together and the Roman Imperials are in their own category. The Ephesus coin I am about to put up actually is the only coin I have with the emperor on it from a city. I do need to check through my coins, though.

Thanks again, this helps me work through things in my mind.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity