Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: greek roman gordianos ne okoron? Ae21  (Read 277 times)

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
greek roman gordianos ne okoron? Ae21
« on: January 21, 2023, 06:29:59 am »
Hoi,

I tried to identify this coin, but i'm stuck. It's a ae21. It could be Gordianus III but I'm not sure.
The front shows a portret with ....IANOCKAI?
The backside shows artemis with e long torch and reads ......NE OKOP..
It's 21mm and weights 4.42gms

The coin resembles a bit like the coins form ephesos, for exeample: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4410713. Maybe this helps. I couldn't find an example wich matched this one. :-)
Any help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: greek roman gordianos ne okoron? Ae21
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 11:46:54 am »
I think you're probably right that it's from Ephesus.  With the obverse legend I can read it should be either Gordian III or Trajan Decius, but most likely Gordian (Decius would have a longer legend).  That said, I don't see this type listed in Karwise for either emperor.  There is this reverse type facing left for Trajan Decius but I really think this is Gordian III.  Probably an unlisted type.  You might want to try to take better photos and send it to RPC and see what they say.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 01:19:07 pm »
Dear Tom,

A mail with the identification from RPC landed in my spambox. Since yesterday I know exactly which emperor it is. RPC (mister Burnett) wrote:
"It is indeed of Ephesus, for the emperor Valerian. Like all the coins of the smaller denomination, it’s quite rare, but the same as BMC 356 or Weber 5890. I don’t know if you know S. Karwiese’s book on Ephesus, but, if so, it is as no. 1045 in his (difficult to use) catalogue.

I have added it to the RPC X database – which if all goes well, we hope to release online later this year." Many thanks go to mister Burnett from RPC and his good work.
A pitty my email is working that bad. I'm warned for the next time.

I thinks the identification is now complete, thanks to all  +++

Yours
Svir

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 10:51:58 pm »
Now that you mention Valerian, it's easy to read!  I'm glad you got it identified.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

All coins are guaranteed for eternity