Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin ID: Chinese Spade Money  (Read 843 times)

Offline David R

• Auxiliary
Coin ID: Chinese Spade Money
« on: October 21, 2022, 05:53:02 pm »
Hello everyone - thank you for reading. I'm having a difficult time identifying this spade money. I tried several dozen searches online as well as attempting find it in Chinese Currency - Currency of the Far East by Fredrik Schjoth, revised by Virgil Hancock 1965.  I was not able to match up any of the symbols.

Size: 48 mm x 30 mm x 3.4 mm  (approx).  More accurate (because I had a tape measure nearby): 1 7/8" x 1 3/16" x 3/32"

Weight: 29.7 grams

Thank you again,

David

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Coin ID: Chinese Spade Money
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 01:16:38 pm »
Nothing like this in Hartill or several other less complete references that I have.

Only one spade showed a similar design - though not exact.  Hartill 3.390 "Wen shi".  But the characters on yours are very clear and even for the period and look more like Nordic runes.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline David R

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 07:54:03 pm »
Thank you for the reply, SC! I'll keep looking and post an update if I have one.  :)

Offline pingu

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 08:51:59 am »
This spade coin is too thick and too heavy. The characters don't fit. Therefore i think, it is a modern forgery.

The book by Frederik Schjoth is an illustration of his collection - so what he did not have in the collection is not in the book. It is often quoted, but is not a catalogue. For a catalogue, use David Hartill's book.

Greetings pingu

All coins are guaranteed for eternity