Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arrowheads  (Read 837 times)

Digger

Arrowheads
« on: October 19, 2022, 09:55:57 am »
Many years ago I was on chat with an american from Ohio ,
we had nothing in common just passing the time of day.
I mentioned roman coins,and he became very interested.
After a few days he mentioned he collected arrowheads
so we made a deal I would send him a few coins and he
would send me an arrowhead , so I sent him a couple of
constantines  and waited for his reply, true to his word about
two weeks later I received a parcel , It contained the two
items pictured one arrowhead and one spear point.
That was 30 years ago and they have been stored away
all this time , I would love to know a bit more about them.

Digger

Re: Arrowheads
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 09:58:33 am »
Opps

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 11:47:16 am »
A previous thread contained the following link to a pretty comprehensive site about projectile points.  While it seems to target the Oklahoma region, the types may bleed across into other geographic regions.

https://www.projectilepoints.net/Search/Oklahoma_Search.html

Craig

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 10:02:50 pm »
I posted that link and it covers more than Oklahoma, I was interested in that state, but the site has a map and you can click on a state. You can go to a home page there to get out of the Oklahoma listings. There is overlap as Craig said, as well. Both of yours are nice points. I think the first one is a scraper, second one is an arrow or spear point, I think, depending on its size. I am not an expert by any means, but have spent some time looking at that site for the projectile points my grandfather found 100 years ago.

Cheers,
Virgil

Digger

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 08:22:35 am »
Thank you for your replies ,Craig and Virgil , I am a complete novice
on the subject ,You call it a scraper ?

Offline Richard2

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 07:03:58 pm »
I used to find arrowheads when I lived in Ohio.  There is a little book about arrowheads with emphasis on Ohio, Indian Artifacts By C.E. Bond.  It is not dated, but I believe it is from the 1950s.  Your first arrowhead appears to me to most resemble a late Paleo or early Archaic point from page 19.  You second resembles a Middle Woodland point from page 27.  Don't pay any attention to the old prices given in the book; the arrowheads are worth much more now.

Digger

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 08:10:01 pm »
Thank you for your information Richard , as I said I am  complete novice and could
not understand the comment about scrapper ! . a great little book my friend.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 12:13:33 am »

I think it’s the same human responses that drive me to clean, preserve and collect Roman coins, that drive me to do the same with 30 million year old shark teeth, projectile points, and civil war artifacts— the thrill of the hunt, the satisfaction of assembling a collection, and preserving and in a way experiencing the history

All coins are guaranteed for eternity