Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Parthian Drachm - my 1st Parthian coin - inviting review, comments  (Read 1006 times)

Offline CameronK

• Praetorian
    • Cameron Knowles Creative Services
I'm sharing my first entry into Parthian coins, identified to me as a Drachm of Phraates IV. I enjoyed reading up about him!

It's 19mm, and about 4.3 grams. Can anyone recommend some resources to read up on this, to look for the legend/translation, any varieties or types, things like that which I might not find on Google searches?!

I also invite opinions about the coin itself. As a casual collector of ancients, I was interested to see how it approximates the size and weight of a Roman denarius, for example.

Thanks for all opinions.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
Re: Parthian Drachm - my 1st Parthian coin - inviting review, comments
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 11:11:03 am »
...to look for the legend/translation

As I already provided to you at another forum:

Here's your legend (below), which is Sellwood's type II for the issue. As you can see, Parthian kings weren't known for their humility.

Top:
ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ
ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΝ (together: of the King of kings)

Right:
ΑΡΣΑΚΟΥ (Arsakes – the ruling dynasty of the Parthian Empire)

Bottom:
ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ (Euergetes (the benefactor/beneficent)]
ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥ [Dikaios (the just)]

Left:
ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ [Epiphanes (the illustrious)]
ΦΙΛΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ [Philhellene (friend of the Greeks)]

Fred Shore, in Ten Dragons, mentions how the drachms of Phraates IV begin to lose their Greek influence (as compared to earlier Parthian issues), with an "oriental looking portrait" emerging. This was a protracted process in Parthian coinage, as the early Greek influence waned amidst the Iranian cultural revival going on in the middle years of the empire. The philhellene (friend of the Greeks) legend line was omitted from the standard Parthian drachm legends just a few kings after Phraates IV.

Offline CameronK

• Praetorian
    • Cameron Knowles Creative Services
Re: Parthian Drachm - my 1st Parthian coin - inviting review, comments
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 11:26:32 am »
Quote from: Robert L3 on December 24, 2021, 11:11:03 am
...to look for the legend/translation

As I already provided to you…

Much appreciated! I post on multiple boards sometimes. I’ve updated this to only invite opinions, not legend translation. Thanks!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity