Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very, very skinny dog of the day  (Read 1835 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Very, very skinny dog of the day
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:14:40 am »
I have just purchased this interesting Republican denarius at auction. It is slightly porous on the obverse but has a wonderfully detailed and lively reverse. The extreme thinness of Diana’s hound makes me suspect their hunting hasn’t been too successful of late!

Catalogue description is-

C. POSTUMIUS (C.74 B.C.), Rome mint, (3.47 g), obv. Diana draped bust to right bow and quiver at shoulder, rev. hound running right, hunting spear below, [C.]POSTVMI/TA in exergue, (S.330, Cr.394/1b, Syd.785, B. Postumia 9a).

It will go nicely into the cabinet with the other Republican coins in my collection.

Steve

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Very, very skinny dog of the day
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:56:45 am »
Lol on the hunting success. Lovely coin though, congrats.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 03:53:31 am »
 ;D

Awesome coin!

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 07:06:11 am »
Great coin, the dog is flawless.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 07:21:20 am »
Thanks Mat, Randygeki(h2) and Joss for your kind comments. Although the photo is good, the coin does look even better in the hand.

As I get older I am starting to appreciate things that are not usually noticed but beautiful if you take the time to look. Although the image on the reverse of a denarius is tiny, the the artist has actually been able to cut the die with such skill that the dog is given a sympathetic expression that gives the viewer, especially one that has or knows dogs, an emotional impact.

A case of an artist creating the image required by the authorities, but going the extra step to make a little work of art that we can look at and enjoy over 2,000 years after he and his political masters have gone.

Steve

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 03:01:12 pm »
Nice find Steve.. +++

The sampling of the dog are really neat ....

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Fatih K

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 07:22:53 pm »
Beautiful sample , great con! +++

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 09:47:16 pm »
A great coin.  I agree with you on the artistry of some of the strikes, which is above and beyond.  Of course, if Roman bureaucrats were similar to today's, I can envision some of the dialogue:  "Flavius, it doesn't have to be perfect, just recognizable.  Get the **** thing done."

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 05:21:47 am »

Thanks Q,  Fatih K and  lawrence c. It is always a pleasure to share a new acquisition with those who know and care about your interest!

Best regards,

Steve

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 09:19:42 am »
Now, that dog can hunt! An all around superb coin.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 11:01:32 am »
Indeed very nice congrats  +++
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 03:55:49 pm »
"Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look".  Skinny dogs hunt better, I would suppose!  That is one of the most beautiful coins I have ever seen.  Here is what my ancient "Roman Dog" does for the other 22 hours of the day.

Best regards to all, V-drome

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 04:41:18 am »

Thanks for the nice comments David and Eric. And thanks also V-drome for the picture, a reminder of how dogs have been our domestic companions since antiquity.  Your beautiful dog is an excellent stand in for an “Ancient Roman Dog" except probably, (like all my dogs have been) it has been perhaps a little pampered!

A Roman sculpture of a dog possibly dating from the same period, and appearing to be a similar breed to the one on the denarius is in the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, Maryland.

I have not been to Maryland to see it in the round, but it seems to have all the “inner life” of good Roman sculpture done around the Late Republic and Early Empire.

Best regards,

Steve

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 10:11:24 pm »
I know this is an old thread, but V-drome pointed us to it and I don't recall it. I had posted my example of the same POSTUMIUS coin that is amongst my favorites of all my coins. My dog does not have as pronounced ribs and the tail is slightly different, yet the mouth is similar. I think perhaps my Diana and dog at least were able to hunt some small game. LOL. Two other things I love about this coin in addition to the dog (that I absolutely LOVE) is the portrait of Diana and the huge amount of white space on both sides of the coin. I find it an artistic triumph in all respects. Here is that more recent thread of dog coins if you haven't seen it:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=129542.0

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity