Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Etruscan Situla Fittings in the Form of Winged Man-Faced Bulls  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Here is my most recent acquisition.  But it isn’t all mine…in fact, I’ve split the lot with my close friend and co-author, Taras.  These were described in the Christies’ catalog as Etruscan situla fittings, each depicting Achelous. Note the lack of horns, common among Near Eastern representations of lamassus, or winged man-faced bulls, which find a place on some issues of Greek coinage.  It is unclear if the original artist intended Achelous or a lamassus, since Achelous evolved from the lamassu tradition and the transmission took place over hundreds of years.  Perhaps he intended both: Achelous in the form of a lamassu.

These were likely found in a grave, since we know situlas were often placed in graves with ritual offerings, and the man-faced bull is very often found in graves and was worshiped as a chthonic, liminar deity, for thousands of years.  The man-faced bull’s association with water, which the situla likely contained, reinforces this point.  Altogether the fittings are extremely important for our study because they occur at an important time in the history of the transmission of the iconography from east to west, and still contain the clearly eastern iconographic element of wings.  A dealer once said to me, when giving me a great deal on a coin, "sometimes coins just belong with certain people."  I think these belonged with us, at least for now :)

In order to determine who gets which one, we decided to roll a translucent blue  icosahedron (the icosahedron was an ancient symbol of water in, e.g., Plato’s Timaeus).

A Pair of Etruscan Situla Fittings, circa 5th Century B.C. Bronze, 1 3/8 in. (3.5 cm) high for the taller. Each depicting a man-faced bull, possibly Achelous, their faces similar but not identical, with short wings projecting from the sides of the head incised with two rows of parallel lines at the edges, the center with a feather pattern, each wing preserving the original rivet for attachment, the bearded god with long pointed ears, almond-shaped eyes, prominent moustache and full lips, wearing a cap surmounted by a ring for the attachment of the handle, each preserving part of the vessel wall. Modern pinholes in reverse for mounting. Ex S. Donati, Lugano 1982; Ex. Christies Sale 9666, lot 52.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-118918

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Etruscan Situla Fittings in the Form of Winged Man-Faced Bulls
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:22:52 pm »
Really, really, really nice!  ;D

I don't know what else to say, they are great.  Congrats to you both!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:38:26 pm »
Thanks, Jay.  I know everyone always assumes "better in hand," but these really are breathtaking.  Etruscan bronze-work is truly unmatched!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 06:54:54 pm »
Hi ,

I agre with Jay or some more members..
It is really nice.. +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline theemptytrunk

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:55:50 pm »
Those are just absolutely beautiful relics!
 +++

Jason

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 12:57:20 am »
Very nice!
You might look into the origins of Etruscan society.
There are two theories, either they're indigenous or they're not (very simple).
If you're tracing the winged, man-faced bull to the East, you might see if you can trace the Etruscans to the East as well.
One place to look is Lemnos, particularly at a stele found there written in an early form of Etruscan.
Just an idea.  If you want me to look at the material for you and report, let me know.

Neat little treasures +++

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:48:23 am »
Beautiful items.  Great you can both share this.

But lets call an icosahedron by its proper name -  a d20.   Did you get a +1 Charisma modifier bonus??   ;D

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:22:02 am »
Beautiful items.  Great you can both share this.

But lets call an icosahedron by its proper name -  a d20.   Did you get a +1 Charisma modifier bonus??   ;D

Shawn

;D

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 07:31:21 am »
Very nice!
If you're tracing the winged, man-faced bull to the East, you might see if you can trace the Etruscans to the East as well.
One place to look is Lemnos, particularly at a stele found there written in an early form of Etruscan.
Just an idea.  If you want me to look at the material for you and report, let me know.

From what I understand, modern genetic evidence has determined the Etruscans were homegrown, and any suggestion of an eastern origin results from their early contact with the east during the early Archaic age (epigraphic evidence, bronze liver models, man-faced bulls, alliances with Carthage, etc.), which authors like Herodotus attributed to an eastern origin.  I think the study determined that the common origin of ancient Etruscans and the  modern inhabitants of Anatolia was 7600 BC in central Europe.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0055519

Coincidentally, we are working on the Etruscan section of our book now, so any assistance is much appreciated.  PM me and I can send you a draft.

Taras

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:19:01 pm »
Very nice!

From what I understand, modern genetic evidence has determined the Etruscans were homegrown, and any suggestion of an eastern origin results from their early contact with the east during the early Archaic age (epigraphic evidence, bronze liver models, man-faced bulls, alliances with Carthage, etc.), which authors like Herodotus attributed to an eastern origin.  I think the study determined that the common origin of ancient Etruscans and the  modern inhabitants of Anatolia was 7600 BC in central Europe.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0055519

Coincidentally, we are working on the Etruscan section of our book now, so any assistance is much appreciated.  PM me and I can send you a draft.

Hi all :)
This discussion really intrigues me.
I try to summarize some thoughts from the huge quantity of articles and books I'm reading on the matter.
The Etruscans arised from the native so called "Cultura Villanoviana", but they were very open to contacts with Levant and near East, since early Iron age. The Lemnos' Stele is a possible epigraphic evidence (even if later), but there are impressive etymological evidences, still not much explored by scholars, for Akkadian roots of many Etruscan hydronyms and toponyms!
The most plausible vector of contacts between Etruria and Semitic Near East were peoples and sailors named on ancient texts "Phoenicians", but who who were the Phoenicians going west?
We have evidences for two major waves of westward expansion, the first was purely commercial, embracing a vast period between the fourteenth and tenth centuries BC (A highlight of all, the Phoenician bronze statuette, dated XIV century BC found in the sea off Selinunte in 1961). there are many evidences of Phoenicians coming from Cyprus to the coasts of Tyrrenian sea, around north african routes.
A second wave of Phoenician travels to west had rather more clearly colonial characteristics, ie moving masses of people searching lands for new permanent settlements and not the easiest emporia. This second wave took place from the eighth century, following the neo-Assyrian expansion on the Mediterranean coasts of Syria, which forced the Phoenicians to migrate westward in search of refuge in safer lands (think of Malta, Utica, Carthage, Western Sicily and Sardinia, as well as Spain still further west). So also for the Phoenicians there was a phenomenon first commercial and then colonial, the timetable in two distinct stages, just like for Greeks, but "Phoenicians" came earlier, as also Greek historians stated about the colonization of Sicily. In fact, as told by Thucydides (VI, 2), the Greeks landed in Sicily they realized that the Phoenicians had arrived before them. It is clear that the Phoenicians at least until the eighth century were superior to the Greeks as sailors, also if we consider they were the ones who brought writing into the Aegean world, as well as Herodotus reports in his story of Cadmus. Today it is widely accepted the idea of ​​a Phoenician "colonization" in the West a few years preceding that of Euboians. Just think of the discoveries of objects with Syrian Aramaic inscriptions found in Pithecusa and Francavilla Marittima (see the work of Buchner and Garbini).
Going back to the first wave of spread of "Phoenicians" westward, it was during the transition between the Bronze Age and Iron Age, we have many evidence, but in this case I put the marks to "Phoenicians", because it is very difficult to identify with certainty the ethnicity of eastern people who since end of the second and during the first millennium came west (especially Sardinia, Sicily and the Tyrrhenian coasts of Central Italy) in search of metals: the archaeological evidence tell us about people coming not only from Phoenicia as we common refer to (Tyre and Sidon for instance), but also of Cypriots and Syrians. Carefully re-reading the ancient sources we understand that for the Greeks "Phoenician" did not meant literally what we mean today, but could have different meanings, attributable in general to any eastern people sailing from east to west along the coasts of Anatolia or north-eastern Africa, therefore also Carians were "Phoenicians" to Greeks in ancient times, as well as the Semitic peoples of Cilicia, Cyprus and Syria, as well the Arameans. In any case, this first wave had definitely purely commercial reasons: the exchange of metals with probably mostly perishable goods, which is why we have few surviving traces except for fragments of vases (a slave or a fine cloth would leave no archaeological traces, as opposed to a copper ingot, as those made in Cyprus and found in Sardinia). As sample of significant evidence of privileged contacts between the Tyrrhenian and the Eastern Mediterranean between Bronze and Iron Age: the discovery in Piediluco, between Sabina and Umbria, of Cypriots bronzes dated to XII BC. In any case, the few archaeological evidence we have are very interesting, like the statue found in Selinunte I mentioned above, or the even more significant and stunning evidence of the two fragments of pottery found at Rieti, locally manufactured, dated XIII century BC (with inscriptions engraved before cooking, therefore on-site), in writing so called "pseudo-hieroglyphic of Byblos," used the middle of the second millennium in Syria, Lebanon and Palestine. Personally I find it amazing that in XIII BC Central Italy, at a site not even close to the coast, there was someone who produced inscriptions in a language that was written at Byblos. We often talk of the Greek inscription dtaed VIII bc found in Ischia (Pithecusa) on the famous "Nestor's Cup", but how many know that in Sardinia we have at least two examples of inscriptions in Phoenician (Nora fragment and fragment of Bosa), which date back to the tenth century BC ? Perhaps Western scholars have been too "hellenocentric" in their studies, and the component of the Semitic origins of Western civilization should be reconsidered, perhaps today we can afford it now that anti-Semitism that was polluting classical studies during '800 and' 900 can be finally put to part...

About genetic evidences, a paper published in 2014 on Science (http://www.sciencemag.org/content/343/6172/747) shows that people's DNA living today in Toscana, Central Italy ancient Etruria, had an important and conspicuous external contribution, given that affects 27 percent of the genome, and it is of levantine and Cypriot people, dated at about sixth century BC. This is a possible match to evidences of Cypriot craftsmen and artists living on the coast of the Tyrrenian sea during Orientalizing period.

So finally, I think the Etruscan civilization had local roots (a visit to the Archaeological Museum of Bologna is enough to understand this), but with great contribution from East, not only cultural, but also made of living bodies of people. This is the reason for when we look to archaic Etruscan objects we sometimes cannot distinguish if they are western or eastern in their conception and iconography. Try to look at the frescoes of the Tomb of The Bulls in Tarquinia. ;)

Sorry for the huge post

Regards
Nico

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 02:57:39 pm »
Very interesting.  But the Carians could not have intermingled with the (edit) Etruscans because the first study I posted showed the two groups shared an origin from 7600 years ago.  So the easterners that inter-breeded with the Etruscans must have come from further south east than Anatolia (unless modern Anatolians have no genetic relation to ancient Carians).

Taras

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 03:09:21 pm »
So the easterners that inter-breeded with the Etruscans must have come from further south east than Anatolia

I agree, in fact I believe those people came from Cyprus and Syria, but they carried also ideas coming from Anatolia, we must consider the ancient routes connecting Ionia to Rhodes, Cyprus, and more south to Egypt. Imagine a sort of cross of two routes, one going north-south from Anatolia to Egypt, another one from Near East to Western Mediterranean along north Africa. The point in which the two routes do cross is Cyprus.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 03:47:34 pm »
Hi Nick and Taras,

Congratulations on a beautiful and historical purchase.

Meepzorp

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 05:58:24 pm »
Taras,
Euripides loaned to Socrates, Heraclitus' book and when Euripides inquired whether Socrates liked it, Socrates said:

"What I understood was good, and what I didn't understand was good, but it takes a Delian diver to get to the bottom of it!"
 ;D
Molinari, you guys are obviously much more advanced on this issue than I am.  I have just looked at some of the ancient literary sources discussing the issue, and I am aware of the Lemnos stele.  But, the genetic evidence is beyond what I have looked at already.

Taras, I love your long post (in purely a Platonic way ;) ), I'll have to read your post (and Molinari's link) a few more times to digest the matter.  But, I _will_ have to look at it again, to compliment what little knowledge I have already. :)  (A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! and this way I'll get a little more. :evil:)

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 06:27:50 am »
The Museum in Bologna is wonderful.

Having a long standing interest in fibulae I am fascinated by the beautiful fibulae of the Villanovan Culture.  Though I am no expert in this area I have noted the links to fibulae types found along the east coast of the Adriatic from Istria to NW Greece.  There are no links though to fibulae type from the Middle East.

On the other hand there is an interesting link after the Villanovan period with identical fibulae types found in Bulgaria and the Romanian coast and those found among the Phrygians and Urartians.  But this is too far removed from Etruria to be of direct relevance to this discussion.

Should you wish to pursue the issue of Villanovan etc fibulae a good source is an old book by Blinkenberg.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Taras

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 02:18:22 pm »

On the other hand there is an interesting link after the Villanovan period with identical fibulae types found in Bulgaria and the Romanian coast and those found among the Phrygians and Urartians.  But this is too far removed from Etruria to be of direct relevance to this discussion.

Should you wish to pursue the issue of Villanovan etc fibulae a good source is an old book by Blinkenberg.

Shawn

Thank you so much for your post Shawn.
 +++
The matter has much relevance to this discussion indeed!!
You could be of great help, as we have evidences of statuettes of winged MFBs made in Urartu, influenced by Assyrian culture, and at the other hand there are many evidences on the link Etruria-Urartu.
For those interested in the matter I suggest to read:

- Maxwell-Hyslop K. R., 1956. "Urartian Bronzes in Etruscan Tombs", in Iraq Vol.18 n.2, pp.150-67
- Pallottino M., 1958. "Urartu, Greece and Etruria", in East and West vol.9 n.1/2, pp.29-52
- Aruz J., Graff S.B., Rakic Y., 2014 Assyria to Iberia at the Dawn of the Classical Age (In particular see cat. n. 195-7 at pp.324-6, and the beautiful article by Maurizio Sannibale on the same book).

Shawn, does Blinkenberg clearly states of identical fibulae found in Etruria and in Urartu? If yes please, could you please give me the reference, ie the page of the work on which this is stated?

Best regards
Nico

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 11:07:38 pm »
Molinari, Taras, your method of dividing the lot reminds me of an article I found.

Angelos Chaniotis

A Dodecahedron of Rock Crystal from the Idaean Cave
and Evidence for Divination in the Sacred Cave of Zeus.

If you can't find it on Google, let me know and I can send a copy to you (12 pp.).

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 04:24:25 am »
Taras,

No, sorry, Blinkenberg only shows the Phrygian/Urartian types which were common in Bulgaria and parts of Romania.

As I noted the Villanovan types, which would have preceded the Etruscans, don't seem to have links to Asia Minor types, just to those from the east coast of the Adriatic.

But my main point is that pursuing more modern research on Villanovan fibulae might be interesting. Blinkenberg is around 100 years old.  There might be newer data.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Taras

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 11:57:34 am »
Taras,

No, sorry, Blinkenberg only shows the Phrygian/Urartian types which were common in Bulgaria and parts of Romania.

As I noted the Villanovan types, which would have preceded the Etruscans, don't seem to have links to Asia Minor types, just to those from the east coast of the Adriatic.

But my main point is that pursuing more modern research on Villanovan fibulae might be interesting. Blinkenberg is around 100 years old.  There might be newer data.

Shawn

Right, thank you Shawn, now it's clear to me.
I agree it would be a very interesting issue of research, as I imagine there would be an huge number of founds to study from the last 100 years. However, the matter is really intriguing, cause if eastern types of fibulae were found, this could give still more substance to the evidences of eastern people (not only temporary as for merchants, but steady, mainly craftsmen and artists) moving to Thyrrenian areas. That would be a very hard thread to study from evidences, as I imagine we could find very few specimens, because an eastern man living West would have adapted in a short time to local customs his way to dress. At the same time we could imagine that if a large number of eastern people went to Italy, they would have influenced with their eastern style the local way to dress. We know this happened, as many scholars have already noted the eastern style of clothes for the characters depicted on the frescoes of the tombs of Tarquinia, and those same tombs have a Cypriot architectural style.
Please if in the future you should know of recent studies on the matter of fibulae, update this thread. ;)

Molinari, Taras, your method of dividing the lot reminds me of an article I found.

Angelos Chaniotis

A Dodecahedron of Rock Crystal from the Idaean Cave
and Evidence for Divination in the Sacred Cave of Zeus.

If you can't find it on Google, let me know and I can send a copy to you (12 pp.).

I've just downloaded it from academia.edu
thanks for the advice John :)
Divination is an argument very close to the worship of the man-faced bull. We know from ancient sources that Zeus' seers at Dodona after giving an oracle they prescribed to offer sacrifices to Achelous.
If you look to the archaic coinage of (Palai)Paphos in Cyprus, you will see the man-faced bull at one side, and an astragalus at the other side, and we already know the ancient use of astragaloi during oracular practices in caves, and also during rites of passage for young people. We have also evidences of astragaloi found in caves where nymphs were worshipped, and we know from Grotta Caruso Cave at Lokris in Bruttium and from many caves in Attica (studied by Larson) that the cult of the nymphs was very strictly linked to that of the man-faced bull.

Best regards
Nico

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 06:22:36 am »
Recent discovery of seemingly identical piece.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31747159

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 07:13:25 am »
Recent discovery of seemingly identical piece.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31747159

Shawn

That's very exciting! What are the chances?  Interesting to see horns on the new example and no wings.

Here is the official write-up, so far:

http://www.inrap.fr/archeologie-preventive/Actualites/Communiques-de-presse/p-19360-Decouverte-en-France-d-une-nouvelle-tombe-princiere-du-Ve-siecle-avant-notre-ere.htm

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 09:52:50 am »
Hi Nick,
 Nice Info :)

Thanks for sharing  +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity