Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this Vespasian?  (Read 657 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
Is this Vespasian?
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:20:15 pm »

This coin--AE 26 mm-- is VERY rough, but the devices are visible.  The rev is an eagle with spread wings, but I don't know the emperor.  Is it Vespasian?  Thanks for your help.  Laney

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Is this Vespasian?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 06:42:17 pm »
Hello and welcome,

the coin reminds me to this issue:
Vespasian AE As. IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG COS III / S-C, eagle, head right, perched atop globe with wings half open.
Roma or Lyon . (cf.: RIC 497 ; Coh. 480)
depicted: the Lugdunum (Lyon) issue with the small globe at the neck)

search on http://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?results=100&search=Vespasian+AND+As+AND+Adler

Best regards

A. C.

Offline laney

• Caesar
Re: Is this Vespasian?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:52:29 pm »
Many thanks.  I am SO happy to have learned about this site.
Laney

All coins are guaranteed for eternity