Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SAXBYS Coins - NOTICE OF INTENT  (Read 11343 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
SAXBYS Coins - NOTICE OF INTENT
« on: July 11, 2011, 10:10:48 am »
Good day sirs. NOTICE OF INTENT - I am writing this email to enquire as to why you have put my name on your notorious fake sellers list ( saxbys-coins ) & saxby coin, which has never been my user ID ?, secondly i have never changed my id to avaoid suspision, to decieve or to manipulate my customer base, my feedback shows this. Your ethics are ILEGAL, it is easy to destroy a reputation and type in my name but where are the facts, i believe because you have your own agenda ( selling your own coins ) that you haphazardly drop in any names that come your way without the correct knowledge, i have seen many many of your coins and have to date seen more than 11 fakes you are selling as genuine ? you are not following the correct precedure. I once had a topic opened about one of my coins that was for sale on ebay, an athens tetradrachm, the person who opened the discussion was a customer who had bought this coin, they were enquiring as to weather it was genuine and showed links, i of course know the coin was genuine and advised the customer to get a second opinion if in doubt. The coin was found to be genuine. as i knew it would be, you are stating that i purposely commit fraud ? where is your evidence and where are the facts ? this is slanderous & damaging. I will ask you to remove my name from the list, as advised by my litigation advisor in the states, this request is an official complaint and as the law stands you have 14 days to respond. I feel very strongly about this matter and will if i have to, tie this up in litigation until i get my name removed, you have also broken interlectual owner / copyright laws by stealing my picture and using it for your own purpose, the list goes on and on. I will apreciate your comments and look forward to hearing what you have to say about the matter. Your own angle on this is to further your own sales that much is clear, especially when you have been wrong about a coin i have sold, i hope you take this matter as seriousely as it is going to becom should you choose to ignore this initial legal notice of intent. yours benjamin stocks ( saxbys coins )

Forum Ancient Coins Response

Our members know very well that I do not haphazardly add names to the Notorious Fake Sellers List.  Our members know I am very concerned about not maligning the reputation of honest sellers for honest errors.

It is clear that while saxbys-coins sells many genuine coins, Benjamin Stocks supplements his income with intentional fraud, both by knowingly selling fakes and by intentionally misattributing cheap coins as expensive types.  I am sure these actions are intentional fraud because his fraudulent listings are too blatantly obvious to anyone that knows coins and because he has been informed of specific fake coin and misattributed listings and did not take action to correct them. 

We once removed saxbys-coins from the Notorious Fake Sellers List after Benjamin Stocks complained he had made honest mistakes.  It was not long before he proved that his mistakes were not honest and saxbys-coins was added to the list again. 

Saxbys-coins is on the Notorious Fake Sellers List because Benjamin Stocks earned this ignominious distinction.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Xenophon

• Consul
SAXBYS Coins - NOTICE OF INTENT
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:20:18 am »
suspision
ILEGAL
interlectual
apreciate
seriousely
becom

On behalf of everyone else in the UK, may I apologise for the existence of this ill-educated individual.

Mr Stocks, if you are truly bothered about your reputation being harmed may I suggest you stop passing off fake coins as real ones.

Offline driekus

• Consul
Re: SAXBYS Coins - NOTICE OF INTENT
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:48:00 am »
Seriously, I know the law seems to be on the side of those selling fake coins and antiquities, given that prosecution of outright frauds such as the Sadigh Gallery does not occur. But if the law offered protection to these frauds by allowing prosecution for highlighting the fraud I would be completely shocked.

I wish you all the best Joe and thank you for providing a forum where these frauds can be highlighted.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:49:09 am »
Joe,
I believe that the aformentioned purveyor of dodgy coins is still based in Birmingham. If so that is only a couple of hours away from me, so if you would like someone to pop down and "explain" the error of his ways I would be happy to do so.  Especially as I have been ripped off by him in the past, so I would enjoy a little chat :)
regards
Mark

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:50:35 am »
It's not only fakes this seller offers but grossly misattributed coins.  They often falsely attribute coins as a more desirable type than they actually are in order to drive up prices and interest in them.  There is no doubt that this is done intentionally and not an honest mistake of a reputable seller.  Good for nothing tricksters.
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:15:22 pm »
Joe,
I believe that the aformentioned purveyor of dodgy coins is still based in Birmingham. If so that is only a couple of hours away from me, so if you would like someone to pop down and "explain" the error of his ways I would be happy to do so.  Especially as I have been ripped off by him in the past, so I would enjoy a little chat :)
regards
Mark

I'm not sure a face-to-face confrontation is a good idea.  Since we don't really know him, he could be a dangerous psychopath. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:38:04 pm »
What nonsense!
His "litigation advisor in the states" bleh! Perhaps he knows someone here of whom he asked a question, but if so he's got his facts wrong (14 days to remove, etc., etc.) What garbage! I certainly doubt he knows any American lawyers. If he did he'd have been advised that he hasn't a leg to stand on.
As with his fake coins, this guy is full of fake bluff and bluster with this.
I guarantee the likes of this character isn't going pay for litigation -- international litigation at that! -- that he KNOWS he will lose, since he IS a purveyor of fake coins and, of course, is well aware of this fact.
Such litigation as he proposes is certain to expose him as a fraud to a far wider audience than already knows this fact at present!
Do as you wish, of course, but if it were I who received such a ridiculous threat via email I would do absolutely nothing, which is precisely what HE is going to do. Nothing.
It must be nice to know the NFSL is regarded so highly by one of the MOST notorious of fake sellers out there, though!

Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 01:03:16 pm »
I'll gladly stand behind my post in your defence if any problems arise, Joe.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 01:10:31 pm »
Further:

So he's changed his name? Well, well, if that isn't a hallmark of fake sellers on ebay! Rather than defend it, as an honest party would do, they change it. Stocks may act as though he's defending himself, of course, but his badly spelled rant is less a cease and desist demand than it is a hollow diatribe.
What are those eleven fake coins he yammers about you selling, Joe? They don't exist, of course. Even if they did, they aren't germane to the matter as every reputable dealer has sometimes had a fake or two slip past them.
On the other hand, Saxby's is notorious for selling obvious fakes and misattributed coins (both fake and genuine) -- and the evidence of this fact is voluminous. Indeed, you have bumped several threads that contain a great deal of such evidence. Then there are the fake reports on his coins, don't forget these. Plus, there are all the experiences collectors both here, on these boards, and many others have had (I've seen him discussed elsewhere on the net numerous times as well).
I realize getting a threatening email like this is upsetting (how can it not be?), but it is an empty threat and cannot hold water. A legitimate cease and desist demand would be written (with correct spelling and grammar) by an attorney, presumably his phantom "litigation advisor in the States" and even then it is still just a demand (i.e. a request) and not binding.
I'm glad you posted all those past threads about him. In the ones in which he responds, he really digs himself in deeply.
And, again, that spelling! How can he possibly expect to be taken seriously?
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:26:33 pm »
Joe,
regards
Mark

I'm not sure a face-to-face confrontation is a good idea.  Since we don't really know him, he could be a dangerous psychopath. 

And what makes you think that I'm not  :evil:

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:31:37 pm »
I'm pretty sure you are...but still... :)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 02:39:31 pm »
I'm pretty sure you are...but still... :)

Right! Doing that will only get you (and possibly Joe & FORVM) into some sort of legal trouble (such as harassment, assault, battery, making terrorist threats, slander, libel, etc.) that you don't need.

"The pen (or website) is mightier than the sword!"

mz

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 03:09:31 pm »
I don't think going round and kneecapping the guy would do any good. I'd be tempted to give you a hand, but we'd have to go on the run, and it would be most inconvenient.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »
Right! Doing that will only get you (and possibly Joe & FORVM) into some sort of legal trouble (such as harassment, assault, battery, making terrorist threats, slander, libel, etc.) that you don't need.

mz

Mark, I'm shocked.  After all, if you read my original post I was merely offering to talk to the guy and pursuade him that he was barking up the wrong tree.  Joe seemed to be looking out for my interest in case Mr Stocks didn't like my interpretation of his actions, and I pointed out that I would be prepared to handle the situation in a mature and professional manner if the need arose.
I have no idea of what you may have thought ;)
Still, if Mr Stocks also misinterprets my post, he is more than welcome to meet up with me and discuss it :)
regards
Mark
P.S. Robert, I know that if I went on the run with you, I would be a far more educated person by the time we felt it safe to stop running :)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 03:56:51 pm »
P.S. Robert, I know that if I went on the run with you, I would be a far more educated person by the time we felt it safe to stop running :)

:laugh:
nice compliment

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 04:07:45 pm »
Forum Ancient Coins Response

Our members know very well that I do not haphazardly add names to the Notorious Fake Sellers List.  Our members know I am very concerned about not maligning the reputation of honest sellers for honest errors.

It is clear that while saxbys-coins sells many genuine coins, Benjamin Stocks supplements his income with intentional fraud, both by knowingly selling fakes and by intentionally misattributing cheap coins as expensive types.  I am sure these actions are intentional fraud because his fraudulent listings are too blatantly obvious to anyone that knows coins and because he has been informed of specific fake coin and misattributed listings and did not take action to correct them. 

We once removed saxbys-coins from the Notorious Fake Sellers List after Benjamin Stocks complained he had made honest mistakes.  It was not long before he proved that his mistakes were not honest and saxbys-coins was added to the list again. 

Saxbys-coins is on the Notorious Fake Sellers List because Benjamin Stocks earned this ignominious distinction.

Excellent response, Joe.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 04:32:02 pm »
I was re-reading the bumped topics. Nebuchadnezzar coin...? How could that be an honest mistake?
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 05:37:31 pm »
Joe,
regards
Mark

My first thought reading this is whether the original note was sent by Saxby's or by someone just making trouble.  If you have previous contact with the man, you would know if the semi-literate text is consistent with him.  Certainly we realize that many people have English as a second language and there is nothing in this note that would suggest it was written by someone with a UK sounding name located in Birmingham.  Do you believe this was written by the person who signed it?

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 06:07:28 pm »
Doug,

I assume that the question was directed at me as you included a quote from one of my previous comments.  So to answer, I have had one unfortunate incident in which I was stupid enough to purchase what looked like a Nero brockage, only to find out, when in hand, that it was a 1mm thick piece of white pressed metal.  No way that even a complete novice to the ancient coin market would not have known it was a modern fake, but obviously difficult to see in a blurry photo. 

During that episode, I had the pleasure of seeing more than one email from Saxby's proclaiming their innocence, and yes, the style of writing is familiar. 
Am I a writing expert, and would I swear in court that it was one and the same people?  Of course not. 
Do I believe that it is the same person?  Yes.

regards

Mark
P.S. Maybe I should drive down and verify if it is the same person?  :angel:

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »
Commodus is right.  The first thing an attorney would tell you is not to contact the person directly and they would send a letter on your behalf.  What a scam.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 07:07:33 pm »

mz

Mark, I'm shocked.  After all, if you read my original post I was merely offering to talk to the guy and persuade him that he was barking up the wrong tree.  Joe seemed to be looking out for my interest in case Mr Stocks didn't like my interpretation of his actions, and I pointed out that I would be prepared to handle the situation in a mature and professional manner if the need arose.
I have no idea of what you may have thought ;)
Still, if Mr Stocks also misinterprets my post, he is more than welcome to meet up with me and discuss it :)
regards
Mark

I don't want to see you get hurt, bro!

mz

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 07:27:05 pm »
I admit that I have a very limited knowledge of the law but it's my understanding that a notice of intent comes in the form of a certified letter, not an email. 

As for anybody paying this character a visit I would highly recommend that they stay as far away from him as you would one of his coins.  I do not believe that by having his eBay ID in the NFSL is actionable, but a face to face confrontation regardless of the intent just might be.

I think it would be best to go on as usual and treat the "Email of Intent" as nothing but pure SPAM.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 07:43:21 pm »
I admit that I have a very limited knowledge of the law but it's my understanding that a notice of intent comes in the form of a certified letter, not an email. 

As for anybody paying this character a visit I would highly recommend that they stay as far away from him as you would one of his coins.  I do not believe that by having his eBay ID in the NFSL is actionable, but a face to face confrontation regardless of the intent just might be.

I think it would be best to go on as usual and treat the "Email of Intent" as nothing but pure SPAM.

Absolutely right.
Joe has made an excellent response. Beyond that the best course of action is probably to ignore this guy completely.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:27 pm »
I would also suggest avoiding any direct contact through eBay.  If we assume this individual is shady then it's not much of a stretch to assume he might be trying to provoke some of us. 

That's my two cents  ;D

Offline spinkpa

• Consul
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 04:11:07 am »
A notice of intent fake like (some of) his coins. Any genuine notice would be in crafted by a lawyer in perfect english and certainly not delivered by email!

Saxby somehow manages to find 11 fake coins in Joes store yet can't find any in his own?

I'm a bit disappointed that Joe, in his response, didn't kindly point out to Mr Stocks the many salubrious benefits of being an honest and diligent trader (throngs of satisfied repeat customers; sleep at night; avoid divine and earthly retribution; etc, etc). Mr Stocks is clearly a rather stressed individual at present  ;D

i hope you take this matter as seriousely as it is going to becom should you choose to ignore this initial legal notice of intent.

I'd have asked for more elucidation of this apparent threat.

Funny but I get the impression that 'Benjamin Stocks' may be a Nigerian or other west african. I never traded with him but his mangled english 'notice of intent' reads like 419 scammer emails, and the name sounds like something they might choose. If so, definitely do not confront in person.

Cheers, RW

All coins are guaranteed for eternity