Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius antoninianus in name of Maximianus  (Read 684 times)

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
Carausius antoninianus in name of Maximianus
« on: October 09, 2021, 06:44:05 am »
Hi all

This week i acquired this interesting coin. On first glance it's an unremarkable antoninianus of Maximianus in OK shape. The obverse shows the cuirassed bust of Maximianus, and the reverse shows Pax, holding a brench and sceptre. So far nothing special, nothing rare. However, the reverse legend is what makes this coin special, as it reads 'PAX AVGGG', implying a rule of three Augusti.
However, as Diocletian only appointed Maximianus as co-emperor (286 AD) it should read 'PAX AVGG'.
This coins therefore can be attributed to the usurper Carausius, who rebelled in Britain around 286 AD. However, unlike many usurpers before him, he didn't aspire to become sole ruler of the whole empire. This coin is a testimony of his attempt to legitamize himself as ruler of Brittain (and part of Gaul), by acknowledging Diocletian and Maximianus as legitimate co-emperors. Unsurprisingly, Maximianus (as western augustus) was not amused and didn't recognize him as co-emperor. Ultimately, Carausius was killed by his minister of finance Allectus, who was defeated by Constantius I in 296 AD, ending the revolt in Britain.
As these coins are quite rare, i'm glad i could get my hands on one of them, it is a nice addition to my collection :-)

Gr Luuk

Obverse: IMP C MAXIMIANVS PF AVG
Reverse: PAX AVGGG, S-P across fields
Mintmark: C (Camulodunum)
Struck: 286-293 AD
Weight: 4.29 gr
Axis: 0600h
Literature: RIC VII, 42

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Carausius antoninianus in name of Maximianus
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 10:44:27 am »
Beautiful coin and in nice condition for the "C" mint.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 08:50:17 pm »
The obverse portrait style here is FAR better than the vast majority of Carausius types, in my opinion.  Very nice coin.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 02:32:53 am »
A very nice coin!
Some time ago I also was able to get one of those.
ZM

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 11:55:10 am »
Hi Luuk,

Nice coin! :)

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity