Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius II -- Alexandria mint? Bust type?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
Constantius II -- Alexandria mint? Bust type?
« on: January 03, 2007, 08:36:09 pm »
Hello to all, and Happy New Year!

I am trying to attribute some Roman coins.... making good progress so far... this one has be a bit stumped!

1. Sorry the picture is not better.... Some curiosities here: Obverse: First "A" of Constantius looks llike it has a dot or something over it! 

2. How would you describe this bust?

3.  Mint mark -- S M (A?) (L?) A -- Alexandria mint? THe coin is much nicer in hand...

4. Obverse legend -  Looks like N9B (yes, a 9) C

All comments welcomed, please!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Constantius II -- Alexandria mint? Bust type?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 09:23:18 pm »
Hi dpaul7!

he type of the rev. is GLOR - IA EXER - CITI, two soldiers standing with spear and shield, between them one or two standards. It is difficult to say which of these both types it is. I think because of the small place it is only one standard.
For me the bust looks cuirassed, laureate. The legend is FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C. This type has been struck in Trier, Siscia, Antiochia and Alexandria.
The ex. could be SMALA or SMANTA. I think I can see only five letters in the ex. so it should be Alexandria. RIC VII, Alexandria 67; struck 335-337; rare. Because the last letter (for the officina, could be A, B, Gamma, Delta) is illegible I can't say more.
But you can see that this attribution has some assumptions especially it depends critically on the number of standards between the soldiers!

Best regards

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 09:35:58 pm »
Jochen --

There are 2 standards between the soldiers.... The mintmark is  definitely SMA (L?) A (Only unsure of one letter now).

Odd that I got some scare pieces in a lot of 15 cleaned coins... for about $4 each.... If they're good coins... I'll need to buy more!!!!

MANY THANKS, Jochen!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:08:57 am »
Hi dpaul7!

If you can see definitely two standards then it is RIC VII, Alexandria 60; struck AD 333-335. This issue has been struck in two officinae A and B. A rated r1, B scarce.

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity