Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this 25mm coin suddenly not a coin?  (Read 953 times)

Offline BROK3N LANGVAG3

• Praetorian
Is this 25mm coin suddenly not a coin?
« on: January 19, 2013, 08:14:44 pm »
Hello to you very helpful folks. I have here an "object" I have been soaking/picking and stumped on for almost a year now. What first appeared to be a 25mm larger AE Roman is now surfacing through a very hard/thick white/tan clay material with a press that is identical on both sides leaving me to believe it is now something else, possibly a fastener or button, however quite a large button from what I recall of other Roman artifacts. The pictures I hope help show my dilemma. The metal has a dull silver color, no obvious/visible chemical damage or reactions, so while I do not think it is silver, it doesn't appear to be of iron make either. This is where I am now at a loss and have no further knowledge to go on. I was trying to find a database like here and wildwinds but for rings and other artifacts and I cannot seem to find one with images and catalogued sections to reference my rings and other objects. I am sorry if this "coin" becomes unacceptable for this section of ID help but I had to start where I have found the most help since joining here 2 years ago. My scale is without battery at the moment so I cannot provide the exact weight. I want to say when I did weigh it when I first began soaking i noted it was heavier feeling than the usual 25mm AE romans but this is complete guessing so I wont even include that as it may be misleading to anyone helping. The main questions are
1. Is this even a coin?
2. What is the design that is parallel on both sides
3. What metal is it possibly
4. Is it even of Roman or Greek origin?

Manzikert

Re: Is this 25mm coin suddenly not a coin?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:52:06 am »
Hi

The metal is going to be lead, so one might guess a token or a seal, but as to date I'm afraid I've no clue :)

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Is this 25mm coin suddenly not a coin?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:31:31 am »

There is new tool for tesserae:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/tesserae/i.html

In my eyes the 3 pictures above are all one and same
side of the coin.

Pekka K

All coins are guaranteed for eternity