Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown "Lead Seal"  (Read 1853 times)

KIR

Unknown "Lead Seal"
« on: October 17, 2012, 07:14:57 pm »
Dear Friends,

Please find attached some form of PB Seal from Magnesia (Manisa, Turkey) that I am struggling to date and to identify. I was hoping that a more experienced member here could direct me to the correct literature.

Item is PB, 19.59g and 32mm and is somewhat interesting.

Thanks in advance
KIR

a

Re: Unknown "Lead Seal"
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 04:11:49 am »
Does not look as seal. probably jeton or tessera.

Regards,
Explorer

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:03:41 pm »
I am in the middle of translating a whole bunch of old articles forming a sort of catalog of lead tesserae but it will be at least another 10 days before it is finished.
In the meantime, I have checked through the 80 pages of the "catalog" .doc which are done so far (approx. 2,400 tesserae so far) and will check to see if I can find this one, tomorrow.
However, I CAN say that I have come across several entries with the palm branch and wreath  beneath or beside one of the figures.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:00:27 am »
Is this not too big to be a  tesserae? Maybe it was just a decorative item :)

it is very strange as horses are notably very hard to draw and get the proportion correct
 the horse looks well depicted and reminds me of the one on philips coins i hope someone comes up with an answer as you say it is rather large
 there are some letters on the horse side around the top can you make them out at all???

Offline Paleologos

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:32:30 pm »
I  have found some  tokens with similar pattern .
Tokens have been found  in U.K

size 18-27
weight 8 -15 gr
+ Κωνσταντινὸς ἐν Χριστῷ τῷ Θεῷ πιστὸς βασιλεὺς καὶ αὐτωκράτωρ ῥωμαίων ὁ Παλαιολόγος +

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:44:41 pm »
Well, I have so far done the Scholz catalog plus the 3 Rostovtsev articles plus R's Paris Cabinet collection list down to no. 540 (of 890) (Ficoroni and something else will probably be added) and I cannot find any horseman left with the hatched reverse.
There were thousands and thousands of different combinations of tesserae and the problem is, that they were so easy to melt down and re-use that there are many thousands of others which are unpublished.
I actually only wanted to do the Scholz list but then noticed that he cited Rostovtsev (1887-1889 articles) a lot, then that he also cited Ficoroni.. so, like Topsy, the "project" grew - everywhere I look I see lead tesserae.... (the daft thing is that I don't own a single one, myself !)

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 02:01:03 pm »
This does not match any of the major styles of tesserae of which I am familiar and thus would not be in Scholz or any of the major publications. Assuming it lacks the characteristic internal channels for a seal, I would suggest that it is a one-off piece, probably a private medal produced by a local engraver.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity